1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circular Motion Ball on a String

1. Nov 18, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/slpu1p8jplmxzmy/Screenshot 2014-11-18 20.11.58.png?dl=0

2. Relevant equations
    Fnet = ma
    ma = (mv^2)/r

3. The attempt at a solution
    ai) Ft up, mg down
    /\Ft
    I
    m
    I
    \/mg

aii) both down
    m
    I I
    \/mg \/Ft

aiii) Ft right, mg down
    m - >Ft
    I
    \/mg

b) Fnet = ma
    -Ft - mg = mv^2/r
    Ft = -11.7N (after isolation anf plugging in numbers from problem)

c) Fnet = ma
    Ft = mv^2/r
    Ft = 5.8N

d) Fnet = ma
    Ft + mg = mv^2/r
    v = 8.8m/s

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Problem Statement
    A ball of mass ##m=0.28\text{kg}## swings in a vertical circular path on a string length ##L=0.85\text{kg}##.
    [diagram showing ball, string, and a dotted circle indicating the path - pretty much as you think]

(a) Draw force diagrams for the ball when it is (i) at the bottom of the circle, (ii) when it is at the top, and (iii) when the string is horizontal.
    (b) If it's speed is ##5.2\text{m/s}## at the top of the circle, what is the tension in the string?
    (c) If it's speed is ##4.2\text{m/s}## when the string is horizontal, what is the tension in the string?
    (d) If the string breaks when the tension exceeds ##23\text{N}##, what is the maximum speed the ball can have at the bottom?

... that wasn't so hard.

Your answers seem reasonable to me - you should also provide a bit of reasoning with your working when you present them for marking.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted