1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circular Motion - Finding Tension

1. Dec 10, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A ball on the end of a string is cleverly revolved at a uniform rate in a vertical circle of radius 65.0 cm, as shown in Fig. 5-33. Its speed is 4.00 m/s and its mass is 0.300 kg.
    (a) Calculate the tension in the string when the ball is at the top of its path.
    (b) Calculate the tension in the string when the ball is at the bottom of its path.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    This is for my quiz review packet which is unfortunately due tomorrow, and I'm confused about how to solve this problem.
    I'm thinking that since this problem involves tension I'm going to need the equation Fnet=ma.
    To find A first I take the velocity 4m/s and put it to the power of 2, so its (16m/s)/radius= centripetal acceleration)
    In this case 16/.65=a so 24.62m/s is the acceleration
    Fnet at the top of the circle is mg+t (.300)(9.81)+t

If this is right I know how to do the second part.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2008 #2
    To start, draw a free body diagram of both situations to see all the forces acting on the objects and how they're acting. Then come up with a Fnet statement, by looking at all the forces.
  4. Dec 10, 2008 #3

Homework Helper

That is right.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?