Circular motion formulas, what does the angle without the function mean?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of an angle without a trigonometric function and how to use it. It is mentioned that typically angles are measured in radians, but it is possible to use degrees as long as everything is consistent.
Femme_physics
Gold Member
http://img864.imageshack.us/img864/9467/tnua.jpg

I see an angle without a trigonometric function (delta theta - at the left side equations). I've never seen it before in a formula, and am not sure how to use it. Can anyone tell me how? Do I just translate degrees to radians and just plug the number I get in radians?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, typically you see everything in radians. So if you went through a quarter of a circle, you'd have [itex]\Delta \theta = {{\pi} \over{2}}[/itex]

You could use degrees as long as everything is consistent (such as the angular acceleration being in degrees/sec for example).

What is circular motion and how is it related to formulas?

Circular motion refers to the movement of an object in a circular path. Formulas are used to describe the various parameters of circular motion, such as speed, acceleration, and centripetal force.

What do the angle and function in circular motion formulas represent?

The angle in circular motion formulas typically represents the angle of rotation of the object, while the function represents the relationship between different parameters, such as velocity and radius, in the circular motion.

What is the significance of the angle without the function in circular motion formulas?

The angle without the function is often used to determine the position of the object in the circular path. It can also be used to calculate the displacement or distance traveled by the object.

How are circular motion formulas used in real life?

Circular motion formulas are used in various real-life scenarios, such as calculating the speed of a race car around a track, determining the acceleration of a roller coaster, or analyzing the motion of planets in our solar system.

Is there a specific unit for the angle in circular motion formulas?

The angle in circular motion formulas is typically measured in radians, although it can also be measured in degrees. Radians are the preferred unit in physics as they simplify calculations and have a more direct relationship with other circular motion parameters.