Circular Motion of a car on a curve

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
FossilFew
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
Hello - I'm having doubts about this approach. Thanks in advance!

If a curve with a radius 88m is perfectly banked for a car traveling 75 km/h what must be the coefficient of static friction for a car not to skid when traveling at 95 km/h?

95km/h = 26.4m/s
75km/h = 20.8 m/s

Fr=ma (radial a)
v^2/gr=Us
Us= (95^2/(9.81* 88) = 10.5 ( This seems too large)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
How are you taking into account the banking of the curve? Don't forget that a component of the normal force will provide some of the required centripetal force. What do you think "perfectly banked" means?
 
We just got into circular motion so being a circular motion newbie I can only give you a newbie answer. My interpretation of perfectly banked means there is a force pushing the car towards the center of the track. I'm not sure how to use that explanation (assuming it is correct) into an equation.

Thanks!
 
FossilFew said:
We just got into circular motion so being a circular motion newbie I can only give you a newbie answer. My interpretation of perfectly banked means there is a force pushing the car towards the center of the track. I'm not sure how to use that explanation (assuming it is correct) into an equation.

Thanks!
Perfectly banked means that the driver of the vehicle does not feel like s/he is being pushed sideways relative to the seat. Equivalently, it means there is no force making the tires slide up or down the track. What does this tell you about the force of friction when the car is traveling at the "perfect bank" speed of 75 km/h?