Circular motion of plane flying at 40.1 degrees [CAPA Question]

In summary, the problem involves finding the speed at which a plane must fly at a latitude of 40.1° so that the sun appears to stand still for the passengers. Using the given radius of the Earth from the textbook and the period of 24 hours, the calculated speed is 343.77 m/s. However, after further clarification, the correct radius of the Earth is 6.37E6 m, resulting in a calculated speed of 354.34 m/s, which is close to the expected answer of 355 m/s.
ghostanime2001

Homework Statement

How fast must a plane fly at a latitude of 40.1° so that the sun stands still relative to the passengers?

Note: I am using Randall D. Knight's Physics for Scientists and Engineers 2nd edition because that is the required book for this course. I am told to use the radius of the Earth given inside this textbook. The radius is 6.18E6 m.

Also I know that the Earth moves 1 period (T) in 24 hours = 86,400 seconds

Homework Equations

[tex] v=2 \pi r/T[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]v = \frac{2 \pi rcos 40.1}{86400}[/tex]

[tex]= 343.77 m/s [/tex]

However the answer is 355 m/s (after the due date for CAPA) what am I doing wrong? Also, I am having a very difficult time understanding "...the sun stands still relative to the passengers"

Physics news on Phys.org
hi ghostanime2001! :smile:
ghostanime2001 said:
I am told to use the radius of the Earth given inside this textbook. The radius is 6.18E6 m.

very strange :confused:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth" reckons the mean radius is about 6370 km, which gives the correct result :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay maybe I haven't told you everything! :(

Maybe the radius of the Earth inside my book is wrong. But in the first question on CAPA there is a question that goes like this: "The Earth's radius is about 3840 miles. Kampala, the capital of Uganda, and Singapore are both nearly on the equator. The distance between them is 5150 miles... blah blah"

So I suppose i will take the radius given in that first question and convert it to meteres. Which I did and it turns out to be (using factor label method) = 6,179,880.96 meters

I did the exact same thing with this and got another answer which is nowhere near 355 m/s... Sighhhhhh I don't understand am I doing the question wrong?

The answer I got is 343.77 m/s :(

OMG! you (or I) would believe this... the value 6.18E6 is not from the textbook. This value is the one i got when I converted from miles to meters from the first question on my CAPA assignment. I re-checked the value in my textbook and it says 6.37E6 m. Here is proof if you don't believe me. Click on the attachment below titled "Vol1.bmp"

I am really sorry for the misunderstanding. But thanks anyway for a "silent hint" :P
The answer I get now is 354.34 m/s. I guess that is close to 355 m/s ?

Attachments

• Vol1.bmp
    207.7 KB · Views: 526

I would like to clarify that the question is not asking for the speed at which the plane needs to fly, but rather the angular velocity at which it needs to travel in order for the sun to appear stationary relative to the passengers. This is because the sun's apparent motion across the sky is due to the rotation of the Earth, and not the speed of the plane.

To calculate the required angular velocity, we can use the formula:

ω = v/r

Where ω is the angular velocity, v is the linear velocity, and r is the radius of the circular motion.

Substituting the given values, we get:

ω = (355 m/s) / (6.18E6 m)

= 5.75E-5 rad/s

This is the angular velocity at which the plane needs to travel for the sun to appear stationary relative to the passengers.

In order to calculate the speed at which the plane needs to fly, we can use the formula:

v = ωr

Substituting the calculated value of ω and the given radius, we get:

v = (5.75E-5 rad/s) * (6.18E6 m)

= 355 m/s

This confirms that the speed at which the plane needs to fly is indeed 355 m/s.

Therefore, the mistake in your attempt was that you used the wrong formula. You used the formula for linear velocity, when the question was asking for angular velocity. I hope this helps clarify any confusion.

1. What causes a plane to fly in circular motion at 40.1 degrees?

A plane flying in circular motion at 40.1 degrees is caused by a combination of the thrust from the engines, the lift generated by the wings, and the angle of the plane's wings (known as the angle of attack). These forces work together to create a curved flight path.

2. How does the angle of attack affect the circular motion of a plane?

The angle of attack is a crucial factor in determining the circular motion of a plane. If the angle of attack is too high, the plane may stall and lose lift, causing it to fall out of the circular path. If the angle of attack is too low, the plane may not have enough lift to maintain the circular motion and may start to descend.

3. Can a plane fly in circular motion at any angle?

No, a plane cannot fly in circular motion at just any angle. The angle must be within a certain range to maintain a stable circular path. In general, the ideal angle for circular motion is between 30-45 degrees.

4. How does air resistance affect the circular motion of a plane?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can affect the circular motion of a plane by slowing it down and making it harder for the plane to maintain the curved path. This is why planes with a higher speed and more powerful engines are better equipped to maintain circular motion.

5. How is circular motion of a plane different from a straight flight path?

The main difference between circular motion and a straight flight path is that in circular motion, the plane is constantly changing direction and turning, while in a straight flight path, the plane moves in a linear direction without any change in direction. Additionally, circular motion requires a different set of forces and angles to maintain compared to a straight flight path.