1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circular Motion with Tension and Finding Angle

1. Sep 17, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 0.020-kg mass is attached to a 1.2-m string and moves in a horizontal circle with a constant speed. The tension in the string is measured at 0.200 N. What is the measure of angle θ?

2. Relevant equations
    ∑F=ma, a=v^2/r

3. The attempt at a solution
    I broke down the forces at work, being T (tension) and W (weight). I made a free body diagram, then drew a graph. I came up with the x components as -Tsinθ=ma, and y components as Tcosθ-W=0. After plugging in for T and m*g (from W) in the y component equation, I came up with θ=11.2, but this is not correct.

FullSizeRender(2).jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2015 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The question as posted does not indicate whether the angle is to be measured from vertical or from horizontal. I assume there is some diagram which makes it clear it is to the vertical.
    I agree with your answer in degrees. Are you sure the question does not want the answer in radians?

4. Sep 17, 2015 #3
    Haruspex,
    Thank you for your response. Here is the image associated with the problem.
    FullSizeRender(3).jpg

5. Sep 17, 2015 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Then I see only four possibilities:
    - you were expected to use a slightly different value of g; the answer will be somewhat sensitive to this, .980 giving 11.5 degrees e.g.
    - for the same reason, you should only specify two sig figs.
    - the answer should be in radians
    - the book is wrong (maybe in the question statement)

6. Sep 18, 2015 #5
    Haruspex, thank you. I'll have to do some digging, but it gives the answer as 24.6 degrees. So I'll try to get to the bottom of it. Thanks again!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted