Uniform Circular Motion for rubber stopper

In summary, the conversation discusses the forces acting on a rubber stopper being spun at a constant speed in a horizontal circle, including the tension force exerted by the stopper and the weight force exerted by gravity. The net force is found to be only horizontal, with the vertical components of tension and weight cancelling each other out. Finally, the net force equation is given as Fnet=m(v^2/r) and ΣFx=TcosΘ, ΣFy=TsinΘ-mg=0, and ΣF=TcosΘ, involving the tension force, angle θ, mass, speed, and radius of the stopper's orbit.
Tim Wellens

Homework Statement

Picture-
https://flic.kr/p/zi1ays

The rubber stopper will be spun at a constant speed in a horizontal circle. The hanging mass is only in contact with the string.[/B]

A) For the rubber stopper, state the forces and what they are exerted by and on
B) Does the net force have a horizontal component, a vertical component, both, or neither? Indicate the direction and explain
C) Use Newtons second law to write the net force equation in terms of the mass of the stopper, the speed (v) of the stopper, and the radius (r) of it's orbit. Then use the definition of net force to show that Fnet is equal to Tcosθ, where T is the magnitude of the tension force exerted on the rubber stopper by the string.

Homework Equations

F=m(v^2/r)

The Attempt at a Solution

A) [/B]For the stopper there is a tension force and a weight force. I believe the tension force points inward toward the center of the circle,while the weight force points downward. I think the tension force is exerted by the stopper and exerted on the string. I believe the weight force is exerted on the stopped and exerted by gravity. But I'm not sure if what I think they are exerted on and by are correct?

B)
I believe the net force is only horizontal because the forces are being directed inward toward the center of the circle. But, I'm not sure how weight would play in because it would be a force in the vertical direction, though the rubber stopper will be spinning at a constant speed, so the vertical components wouldn't be playing a role. But, I'm not sure what would cancel this force out? Also, I feel like the tension force might have both a horizontal and vertical component since it's at somewhat of an angle...

Edit: If the net force is only horizontal and tension is, indeed, split in x and y components. Then the vertical tension and force of weight would cancel each other out, making the net force only in the horizontal direction?

C) All I think the first part is asking for is that Fnet=mar, which is equal to Fnet=m(v^2/r)

Then the second part would be ΣFx=TcosΘ and ΣFy=TsinΘ-mg=0
which makes the total net force to be ΣF=TcosΘ

I think this all the question asks for and I think this might be right.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Gravity acts. There must be a vertical component of upward force exerted by the string to balance it.

Draw a good free body diagram and go from there.

Tim Wellens said:
I think the tension force is exerted by the stopper and exerted on the string.

The string and the stopper interact. Each exerts a force on the other. The magnitudes are equal to each other and equal to the magnitude of the tension force. The question asks you to state which of these forces is acting on the stopper, and which is by the stopper.

Earth and the stopper interact. Each exerts a force on the other. The magnitudes are equal to each other and are called the magnitude of the gravitational force. The question asks you to state which of these forces is acting on the stopper, and which is by the stopper.

If the net force is only horizontal and tension is, indeed, split in x and y components. Then the vertical tension and force of weight would cancel each other out, making the net force only in the horizontal direction?

Yes!

C) All I think the first part is asking for is that Fnet=mar, which is equal to Fnet=m(v^2/r)

Then the second part would be ΣFx=TcosΘ and ΣFy=TsinΘ-mg=0
which makes the total net force to be ΣF=TcosΘ

I think this all the question asks for and I think this might be right.

Yes! Just to be safe, though, you might include one more equation involving ##T, \theta, m, v, \mathrm{and} \ r##.

What is Uniform Circular Motion?

Uniform Circular Motion refers to the motion of an object moving in a circular path at a constant speed. This means that the object is moving at the same speed and direction throughout the circular path.

How is the velocity of an object in Uniform Circular Motion calculated?

The velocity of an object in Uniform Circular Motion can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time taken, or by multiplying the radius of the circular path by the angular velocity (the rate at which the object is moving around the circle).

What is the centripetal force in Uniform Circular Motion?

The centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. It acts towards the center of the circle and is equal to the product of the mass of the object, its velocity squared, and the radius of the circular path.

How does the mass of the object affect Uniform Circular Motion?

The mass of the object does not affect the speed of the object in Uniform Circular Motion, but it does affect the amount of force required to keep the object moving in the circular path. The larger the mass, the greater the centripetal force needed.

What is the significance of the rubber stopper in Uniform Circular Motion experiments?

The rubber stopper is often used as a weight at the end of a string or rod to demonstrate Uniform Circular Motion. It helps to create a circular path and allows for easy manipulation of the object's speed and direction. Additionally, the rubber stopper serves as a point of reference for measuring the radius and angular velocity of the motion.