1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circular motion x, y acceleration

1. Jan 22, 2013 #1
    Can you tell me if my answers and sign are correct ?

A car is traveling around a horizontal circular track with radius r = 250.0 m at a constant speed v = 18.0 m/s as shown. The angle θA = 19.0° above the x axis, and the angle θB = 60.0° below the x axis.

What is the x component of the car’s acceleration when it is at point B = 0.527

What is the y component of the car’s acceleration when it is at point B = 1.1859

As the car passes point B, the y component of its acceleration is-increasing

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Welcome to PF;
    Well you left off the units ... that's marks lost right there.
    How did you come by those numbers?

Note: it is possible to get the right answer despite misunderstanding the problem... but if you understand the problem, you'll probably also be confident with your answer. s there some special reason you are concerned about your answers?

4. Jan 22, 2013 #3
    I am concerned if my signs are right

5. Jan 22, 2013 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

i.e. at any point in the circle, describe in words the direction of the car's acceleration.

6. Jan 22, 2013 #5
    Can you tell me if my answers and sign are correct ?

A car is traveling around a horizontal circular track with radius r = 250.0 m at a constant speed v = 18.0 m/s as shown. The angle θA = 19.0° above the x axis, and the angle θB = 60.0° below the x axis.

What is the x component of the car’s acceleration when it is at point B = 1.296*cos60
    What is the y component of the car’s acceleration when it is at point B = 1.296*sin60

are both the magnitudes going to have a positive value ?

7. Jan 22, 2013 #6

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Which direction does the acceleration vector point in circular motion at constant speed?
    Draw the acceleration vector arrow on your diagram.

When you have done that, you will know if your signs are correct.

You have still not provided units.
    You have still not said how you got those numbers: where did 1.296 come from?
    I'm not doing this just to be pedantic or make your life difficult! What I am trying to do is direct your attention to where the answer to your question lies. The idea is that, next time, you won't have to ask.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook