Circumference of a circle (in strange coordinates)

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of different coordinate systems and the calculation of areas and circumferences in non-Euclidean geometry. The main problem being discussed is finding the ratio of circumference to diameter of a circle using (u,v) coordinates and the correct approach to solving this problem. The conversation also touches on the concept of conformal maps and the difference between the areas of a circle on a flat disc and a 2-sphere.
ozone

Homework Statement

We are given a function defined by
[itex] x = uv,
y = 1/2 (u^2-v^2)[/itex]

Homework Equations

I derived the line element [itex] ds^2 = (u^2+v^2) dv^2 + (u^2+v^2) du^2 [/itex]

However I decided this was to unwieldy to derive our circumference where

C = [itex]2*{R}\oint_{-R}^{R} ds[/itex]

So I decided to try to convert my coordinats to polar. I realized the equation of a 2-d circle in these coordinates is
[itex] 4(y^2+x^2) = (u^2+v^2) = R^2[/itex]

so then R = 2r in polar coordinates.. right? I think I can use this information to construct a simple integral in polar coordinates but i don't know exactly what to do.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps I'm missing the point of the problem; why would the circumference be any different in these coordinates?

I believe its a non-euclidean geometry problem (could be wrong). For example if I take the area of a circle on the face of a sphere using the area element in spherical coordinates you will get

[itex] \int_{\vartheta=0}^{2\pi} \int_{
\varphi=0}^{\pi/2}a^2 sin(\phi) d\phi d\rho d\theta [/itex]

Which is the not the same as the area of a circle in euclidean (plane) geometry.

edit: you will run into the same problem calculating the circumference also.

ozone said:
I realized the equation of a 2-d circle in these coordinates is
[itex] 4(y^2+x^2) = (u^2+v^2) = R^2[/itex]

Thanks in advance

I don't think this is correct :frown:

I believe its a non-euclidean geometry problem (could be wrong). For example if I take the area of a circle on the face of a sphere using the area element in spherical coordinates you will get

∫2πϑ=0∫π/2φ=0a2sin(ϕ)dϕdρdθ

Which is the not the same as the area of a circle in euclidean (plane) geometry.

edit: you will run into the same problem calculating the circumference also.

Well all you're doing is changing coordinates. The names have been changed, but the geometry is the same. Things like lengths should be coordinate independent.

Yeah, the metric was ultimately flat, so actual lengths are still Euclidean. In the case of a sphere, when you write out the metric in terms of two coordinates, the metric is not flat. No coordinate transformations can change that.

Ok your right i screwed up the circle equation it should be 4y^2 + x^2.

I am still trying to figure out how to calculate the area and circumference for a circle in this coordinate system though. I'm not arguing that the circumference isn't changed, but how would you show that?

after all spherical coordinates are just a coordinate transformation where your mapping
[itex] x = \rho cos\phi sin\theta , y = \rho sin\phi sin\theta , z = r cos\theta [/itex]

I don't see how that is so much different from what is being performed here. And i already demonstrated that the area of a circle on the 2-d surface of a sphere isn't equal to the area of a circle on a plane.

However I think i titled this post poorly and should have outlined the question more accurately. This is how it is stated in my book.

Calculate the ratio of the circumference to the diameter of a circle using (u,v)
coordinates. Do you get the correct answer?

ozone said:
Ok your right i screwed up the circle equation it should be 4y^2 + x^2.

No that's still not right - I got
[tex] x^2 + y^2 = \frac{1}{4}(u^2 + v^2)^2.[/tex]
See if you agree.

So it is true that circles in the x-y plane are mapped onto circles in the u-v plane - but see the hint below.

I am still trying to figure out how to calculate the area and circumference for a circle in this coordinate system though. I'm not arguing that the circumference isn't changed, but how would you show that?

Ok I worked the problem myself and it's actually quite cute.

To find the radius and circumference, just work in the (u,v) coordinates using your line element - which amounts to multiplying the usual lengths by R, with

[tex]R^2 = u^2 + v^2.[/tex]

You'll have to do a little integral to get the radius, and you can just use c = 2 pi R to get the circumference - but (hint) watch out for a subtle factor of 2.

The whole thing has a nice interpretation as a conformal map - if you know a bit of complex analysis - I don't know if that's the point of view from which you're approaching this.

after all spherical coordinates are just a coordinate transformation where your mapping
[itex] x = \rho cos\phi sin\theta , y = \rho sin\phi sin\theta , z = r cos\theta [/itex]

I don't see how that is so much different from what is being performed here. And i already demonstrated that the area of a circle on the 2-d surface of a sphere isn't equal to the area of a circle on a plane.

Yeah I think this turned out to be a bit of a red herring.

As you rightly point out, there are two different areas here - the area of the (flat) disc bounded by the circle and the area of the bit of the 2-sphere bounded by the circle. But note that they're different areas because they're different surfaces, not because of any choice of coordinate system. You can work out either area in the coordinate system of your choice.

What is the formula for finding the circumference of a circle in strange coordinates?

The formula for finding the circumference of a circle in strange coordinates is 2πr, where r is the radius of the circle.

How do I find the radius of a circle in strange coordinates?

To find the radius of a circle in strange coordinates, you can use the distance formula, which is √((x2-x1)^2 + (y2-y1)^2). Plug in the coordinates of the center of the circle and any point on the circle to find the radius.

Can the circumference of a circle be negative in strange coordinates?

No, the circumference of a circle can never be negative regardless of the coordinates used. It is a measure of the distance around the circle, which is always a positive value.

What is the relationship between the circumference and diameter of a circle in strange coordinates?

The circumference of a circle is equal to the diameter multiplied by π in any coordinate system. This relationship holds true in strange coordinates as well.

Are there any special considerations when calculating the circumference of a circle in strange coordinates?

Yes, when calculating the circumference of a circle in strange coordinates, it is important to ensure that the coordinates are consistent and follow a logical pattern. Otherwise, the results may be inaccurate. It is also important to double check the units of measurement being used to avoid any errors.