1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Citing objections in a poster presentation

1. Sep 29, 2009 #1
    i'm doing a poster presentation of a paper i have written and would like to include both objections and agreement with the paper in a separate box for each called strengths and weaknesses

if for example a journal editor gave me a lot of corrections or weaknesses which helped develop particular models can i incorporate them and mention how his feedback helped illustrate a weakness of the model ?

I'm going to write to them anyway, but just in case they don't get back in time i would be wondering what its ok to quote..e.g. in a paper you can say something like (personal correspondence, smith 2009)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2009 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I don't think I understand why anyone would want to do something like this.

The point of a poster is to showcase your research. It's usually not the place to cite objections or criticisms from journal editors.

Imagine, for example, I am a professor in your field. I come strolling along down the poster aisle and stop in front of your poster. What do you want me to see?

In general I like to see:
    - a clear presentation of the problem you're working on
    - a quick summary of the methodology used
    - the important results this work has generated
    - a few brief discussion points

People don't want to see a history of the project in a poster. If they want details, they'll ask. The poster is, in my opinion, supposed to serve as both a trigger and reference point for discussion of your work.

Of course, it's a poster. You can really do what you want with it. But my experience has found that you'll get a lot more interest if you keep it consise.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook