Civil engineering - dike improvement

• Thread starter Waffle24
  • Start date
[Moderator moved this thread from the homework section.]

I'm a civil engineering student, and it's my first year at the University of Applied Sciences, and I'm doing an exercise but can't figure out one of its parts.
The question: what are the advantages and disadvantages of reinforcement outside the dikes?
So far I've found only general information about dyke improvement, and not the specific information about the disadvantages and advantages.
So any information related to this question by any of you will be helpful for me to be able to understand it and answer the question correctly.

On edit: removed unnecessary things.

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

It would seem that anything that tends to stabilize the ground would help to some extent.

berkeman
Mentor
The question: what are the advantages and disadvantages of reinforcement outside the dikes?
Can you explain more what is meant by "reinforcement outside the dikes"? If it is what I think it means, I can think of at least one clear advantage...

Likes Deliberately_Troy
Sorry for not replying to the questions. Meanwhile I've managed to find the answers to the question through the help from my lecturer. My apologies for bumping the topic, but I'll share my answers in here in case anyone is interested.

The advantages:
● No space required behind the dikes.
● Present buildings along the dike may remain standing or expensive reinforcement measures may be omitted
(think of sheet piling).

The cons:
● Flow profile / passage profile of the watercourse is becoming smaller.
● Present foreland is becoming narrower, so that wave attack is inhibited less.
● Any upholstery and soil protection must be removed and reapplied.

Likes Tom.G and anorlunda