• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Civil Engineering Vs Architecture?

• Thread starter Pagey
  • Start date
I have read quite a few sources about the differences between them but i'm, still in a dilema.

Which subject is more related to house building and structure, i know civil engineer goes way beyond houses, to huge structures etc. But can one still do a degree in architecture and be licensed to do the actual mechanics behind the structures of houses

I know the questions are abit vague, but as is my knowledge on the matter.

I've been told (by an architect) you don't need an engineer to build a house because it is a very simplistic design.

Civil engineers I have been told deal mostly with roads, drainage (hydrology) and concrete structures. In some areas they're also involved with mining and geological engineering. Thats all I can tell you because that is a lot of what they do over here.

Of course you don't need an engineer to build (most) simple houses - at least our present contractor and most in general do very fine without one, and all of which I know have absolutely zero post-secondary education under their belt.

As mentioned before, civil engineers are brought in to work with much bigger projects.