1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Civil Engineering Vs Architecture?

1. Apr 20, 2008 #1
    I have read quite a few sources about the differences between them but i'm, still in a dilema.

Which subject is more related to house building and structure, i know civil engineer goes way beyond houses, to huge structures etc. But can one still do a degree in architecture and be licensed to do the actual mechanics behind the structures of houses

I know the questions are abit vague, but as is my knowledge on the matter.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2008 #2
    I've been told (by an architect) you don't need an engineer to build a house because it is a very simplistic design.

Civil engineers I have been told deal mostly with roads, drainage (hydrology) and concrete structures. In some areas they're also involved with mining and geological engineering. Thats all I can tell you because that is a lot of what they do over here.

4. Apr 20, 2008 #3
    Of course you don't need an engineer to build (most) simple houses - at least our present contractor and most in general do very fine without one, and all of which I know have absolutely zero post-secondary education under their belt.

As mentioned before, civil engineers are brought in to work with much bigger projects.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?