Civil Engineering with Concentration in Management?

In summary, the speaker is considering switching from a standard Civil Engineering degree to one with a concentration in management. This would mean not taking courses in Thermodynamics, Heat Transfer, and Mathematical Methods, but instead taking courses in intro accounting, management accounting, organizational behavior, organization theory, and managing change. The speaker is concerned about the implications of not taking technical courses, but also sees the benefits of learning about accounting and management. They also mention that the management version may improve their communication skills and potentially look better on their resume. The conversation also touches on the ABET accreditation of the Civil Engineering degree and whether the management version would affect it. The speaker is advised to consider their career goals and whether the management version aligns with them.
AFG34
I'm currently finishing up my third semester in Civil Engineering. Recently a couple of my friends switched from standard "Civil Engineering" to "Civil Engineering with Concentration in Management" So this got me thinking if I should switch..

If i switch, I would not be taking Thermodynamics/Heat Transfer & Mathematical Methods (Laplace , Fourier & PDE)

Instead I will be taking courses on intro accounting, management accounting, Organizational Behavior, Organization Theory & Managing Change.

My main concern is that I don't know about the implications of not taking Thermo and PDE/Fourier/Laplace courses.

What I like about switching is that I will learn about accounting/management etc which I think are really useful and applicable to real life. Also, I would have to take three art electives if i don't switch :(. Also I would improve my communication skills and it would possibly look better on my resume?

What do you guys think?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the Civil Engineering degree ABET accredited? Do you lose the accreditation with the management version? ABET accreditation is required for you to become a licensed Professional Engineer, which is a big deal in civil. That may (or may not) be the implication of missing out on those technical courses.

The management version sounds like it is preparation for http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos005.htm" (but double check the placement in your department). Is this something you want to do? What other specific job would you be going for with the degree?

Last edited by a moderator:

I would say that both options have their own benefits and it ultimately depends on your career goals and interests. If you are interested in pursuing a management role in the civil engineering field, then switching to a concentration in management may be a good choice. It will provide you with a strong foundation in accounting, management, and communication skills that are highly applicable in the industry. It may also make you stand out to potential employers and open up more job opportunities in the future.

However, if you are more interested in the technical side of civil engineering and want to focus on topics like thermodynamics and mathematical methods, then sticking with the standard civil engineering program may be a better fit for you. These courses are important in understanding the principles and applications of engineering and may be necessary for certain job positions.

It's important to weigh the pros and cons of both options and consider your long-term career goals before making a decision. You can also speak to your academic advisor or career counselor for more guidance. Ultimately, both paths can lead to successful careers in civil engineering, so it's important to choose the one that aligns with your interests and goals.

Related to Civil Engineering with Concentration in Management?

1. What is Civil Engineering with Concentration in Management?

Civil Engineering with Concentration in Management is a specialized field of study that combines the principles of civil engineering with business and management concepts. It prepares students to take on leadership roles in the construction industry and manage projects efficiently.

2. What courses are typically included in this program?

Some common courses in this program include project management, construction methods and materials, cost estimation, contract administration, leadership and communication, and financial management. These courses provide a well-rounded education in both technical and business aspects of civil engineering.

3. What job opportunities are available for graduates of this program?

Graduates of Civil Engineering with Concentration in Management can pursue various career paths in the construction industry. Some common job titles include project manager, construction manager, site engineer, cost estimator, and quality control manager. They can also work in government agencies or consulting firms.

4. What skills are necessary for success in this field?

To excel in this field, one needs to have a strong foundation in both civil engineering and management principles. Good communication, problem-solving, and leadership skills are also essential. Attention to detail, time management, and teamwork are other important skills for success in this field.

5. Is this program suitable for students with no prior experience in civil engineering or management?

Yes, this program is designed for students with diverse backgrounds. It provides a comprehensive education in both civil engineering and management, making it suitable for students with no prior experience in these fields. However, some basic knowledge of math, physics, and business principles can be beneficial.