1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Civil Engineering with Concentration in Management?

1. Dec 4, 2009 #1
    I'm currently finishing up my third semester in Civil Engineering. Recently a couple of my friends switched from standard "Civil Engineering" to "Civil Engineering with Concentration in Management" So this got me thinking if I should switch..

If i switch, I would not be taking Thermodynamics/Heat Transfer & Mathematical Methods (Laplace , Fourier & PDE)

Instead I will be taking courses on intro accounting, management accounting, Organizational Behavior, Organization Theory & Managing Change.

My main concern is that I don't know about the implications of not taking Thermo and PDE/Fourier/Laplace courses.

What I like about switching is that I will learn about accounting/management etc which I think are really useful and applicable to real life. Also, I would have to take three art electives if i don't switch :(. Also I would improve my communication skills and it would possibly look better on my resume?

What do you guys think?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2009 #2
    Is the Civil Engineering degree ABET accredited? Do you lose the accreditation with the management version? ABET accreditation is required for you to become a licensed Professional Engineer, which is a big deal in civil. That may (or may not) be the implication of missing out on those technical courses.

The management version sounds like it is preparation for http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos005.htm" (but double check the placement in your department). Is this something you want to do? What other specific job would you be going for with the degree?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook