Civil Engineering or Mechanical Engineering Technology

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's dilemma of switching from mechanical engineering to civil or engineering technology due to lower grades and loss of interest in the material. The importance of an ABET accredited engineering degree is emphasized, as it is worth more and requires less experience to become a licensed engineer. The speaker's personal observation is that civil engineers often run projects, but this could be due to their involvement in the initial stages of the project. It is also noted that civil engineers need to be licensed to stay employed, while it is not necessary for mechanical engineers. The conversation concludes with the speaker deciding against taking the easier route of engineering technology, as it may limit future salary and career advancement opportunities.
Jpcol1990
Hello, all. I am currently a Junior in Mechanical Engineering. I was doing really well up until this current semester and my grades are starting to get lower and I have been losing interest in the material. I am considering switching to civil because their technical gpa requirements are a bit more lenient and I also have a thorough construction background so it is more applicable to me. However, I was also contemplating possible switching to MET, but I have read a lot of info about salary statistics and job out look for METs and it makes me very hesistent. Would it be better for me to get the Real Engineering degree in the long-run as opposed to a Technology degree? Thanks for your insight!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, a real ABET accredited engineering degree is worth considerably more than an engineering technology degree (even if it is also ABET accredited). Why? Because if you want to become a licensed engineer, you only need about 4 years of experience vs 8 years with an engineering technology degree.

Construction engineering inside of the building values Mech engineers. On a personal observation though, often Civil engineers run the projects. But that could be simply because they are first on the project to landscape the site and work with the Architects first. And Civil engineers almost always need to be licensed to keep themselves employed where as a Mech engineer doesn't have to be licensed to keep himself employed (although it does help, both in employment and salary).

If you decide to take the easier route now, rest assured, you will be taking a hit in future salary or hitting your head on a much lower ceiling of career advancement.

With a technology degree, large companies often look at you as a senior tech vs engineer. Smaller companies may bring you aboard as an engineer, but you will be on the lowest (least paid) rung of the ladder.

CalcNerd said:
Yes, a real ABET accredited engineering degree is worth considerably more than an engineering technology degree (even if it is also ABET accredited). Why? Because if you want to become a licensed engineer, you only need about 4 years of experience vs 8 years with an engineering technology degree.

Construction engineering inside of the building values Mech engineers. On a personal observation though, often Civil engineers run the projects. But that could be simply because they are first on the project to landscape the site and work with the Architects first. And Civil engineers almost always need to be licensed to keep themselves employed where as a Mech engineer doesn't have to be licensed to keep himself employed (although it does help, both in employment and salary).

If you decide to take the easier route now, rest assured, you will be taking a hit in future salary or hitting your head on a much lower ceiling of career advancement.

With a technology degree, large companies often look at you as a senior tech vs engineer. Smaller companies may bring you aboard as an engineer, but you will be on the lowest (least paid) rung of the ladder.
Awesome. Thanks for your input! That's what I needed to hear to assure myself from not taking that route. I appreciate your insight.

1. What is the difference between Civil Engineering and Mechanical Engineering Technology?

Civil Engineering focuses on the design, construction, and maintenance of infrastructure such as buildings, roads, and bridges. Mechanical Engineering Technology, on the other hand, focuses on the design, development, and maintenance of mechanical systems like engines, machines, and tools.

2. What kind of coursework is typically involved in a Civil Engineering or Mechanical Engineering Technology program?

Civil Engineering coursework may include subjects such as structural analysis, construction materials, and geotechnical engineering. Mechanical Engineering Technology coursework may include subjects such as thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, and mechanical design.

3. What kind of career opportunities are available to graduates of Civil Engineering or Mechanical Engineering Technology programs?

Graduates of both programs can pursue careers in a wide range of industries, including construction, manufacturing, transportation, and energy. Civil Engineers may work as project managers, structural engineers, or transportation engineers, while Mechanical Engineering Technologists may work as design engineers, quality control technicians, or maintenance supervisors.

4. Are there any certifications or licenses required for Civil Engineering or Mechanical Engineering Technology careers?

It depends on the specific job and industry. In some cases, a Professional Engineer (PE) license may be required for Civil Engineers, while Mechanical Engineering Technologists may need to obtain certification from organizations such as the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) or the National Institute for Certification in Engineering Technologies (NICET).

5. What skills are important for success in the fields of Civil Engineering or Mechanical Engineering Technology?

Both fields require strong problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work with complex data and calculations. Additionally, communication, teamwork, and project management skills are important for success in these fields as they often involve working on large-scale projects with other professionals.