Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cl(A) smallest closed set containing A.

1. Sep 21, 2010 #1
    My professor proved this result in class, but I don't understand the "simple" direction. He said that the above result is in another words proving that Cl(a) = intersection of all closed sets that contain A.

So he proved Cl(A) subset of intersection of all of the closed sets containing A. And intersection of closed sets containing A is a subset of Cl(A). However, I don't understand this last direction.

He simply says:

Cl(A) = int(A) U Bd(A); by definition.
    => Cl(A) is one of the closed sets containing A.
    => intersection of closed sets containing A is a subset of Cl(A).

That's what I just don't get. I understand that Cl(A) is closed and it contains A, but I just don't see how we can then say that the intersection of all closed sets containing A has Cl(A) in it. I know its going to be one of those I'll be intersecting all the other closed sets with, but that Cl(A) is actually INSIDE the intersection I just don't see.

I'm having a massive brain freeze so an explanation would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2010 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you intersect two sets, say A and B, then the intersection will be a subset of A. After all, it contains only elements in A (which satisfy a specific property, namely that they are also elements in B).
    By the same argument, it will also be a subset of B.

Now suppose that you intersect Cl(A) with I, the intersection of all other closed sets containing A. Then Cl(A) intersected with I is a subset of both Cl(A) and of I. It is the former you are interested in here.

4. Sep 21, 2010 #3
    Ahhh thanks a lot. I get it. Stupid me just wasn't seeing it. Thanks a lot!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook