Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Claisen Rearrangement for this molecule

1. Feb 17, 2012 #1
    Hey all,

I'm new here, but used to frequent in high school when I was having a lot of trouble with Physics. Now I'm taking O Chem and figured this could be a great resource to use again.

I had this question on a quiz today, just wondering if I did the Claisen rearrangement for this particular molecule correctly.

Thanks!

EDIT: Looks like you will have to click the thumbnail, then click the preview window that pops up to be able to view it normally. Sorry, drew it up in ChemDraw and exported as a gif, wasn't sure what file type would work best. Thanks to anyone who can help!

EDIT 2: If anyone could move this to the Homework forum that would be great...figure it probably belongs there rather than here. Don't want to double post. Thanks!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2012 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Can't see what you did there but it looks to me like you forgot a double bond and your mechanism goes through a 5-bonds-to-carbon intermediate or final product. That's bad ju-ju any way you look at it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook