Clapton equation for water ice coexistence

• Thread starter RJWills
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ice Water
In summary: You are using atm, but the latent heat is in J/g. You need to convert to J/m^3.Ok, I'll try that, thanks :)In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the slope dp/dT of the water-ice coexistence line in atm/K at 1 atm pressure and 273K using the densities of ice and water, and the latent heat of fusion of ice. The formula for determining dp/dT is also provided. The individual provides their attempt at a solution and asks for clarification on the use of symbols in the equation for change in enthalpy. They are advised to refer to their reading assignment for more information and are encouraged to be more persistent with their lecturer in the future.
RJWills
I meant to put Clapeyron equation, auto correct had other ideas...

Homework Statement

The densities of ice and water are 0.917 g cmE-1 and 1.00 g cmE-1 respectively. The latent heat of fusion of ice is 333 J gE-1. Use this information to derive the slope dp/dT of the water-ice coexistence line in atm/K at 1 atm pressure at 273K

Homework Equations

dp/dT= ΔH/TΔv = (Δv + pΔv)/ TΔv

And of course ρ = m/v

The Attempt at a Solution

V ice = vI, v water = vW
VI=1/0.917 vW=1 ∴ Δv= -0.0905125
∴ dp/dT=2*(-0.0905125)/-273*0.0905125 = 0.007326 atm/K

However I think this is wrong because I've not used the latent heat of fusion. A suspicion is that I may be using the wrong formula, my lecturer didn't have very distinguishable u's and v's... Is the equation for change in enthalpy Δu+pΔv or Δv+pΔv. If the former is true (seems more likely) how do I use the lhf?

Physics news on Phys.org
:smile: Got it! I wish I had been more of a pain in the backside to the lecturer when he was writing down notes. He would never reference what the meaning of the symbols, just write them down.

1st year undergrads, be annoying to lecturers. I sure as hell know I'm going to be annoying next year!

Just a quick check of my answer, hope you don't mind:

dp/dT=(ml)/TΔv
= 333/ 273*(-0.0905125) = -13.48 atm/ K

I have assumed that this is for 1g of water.

Looks ok except you haven't kept track of your units. So you still have some work to do there.

Is it that I've used cm-3 instead of m-3 which I would have to use because of the standard units to calculate pressure?

Yes, that's part of the problem. Also, you need to think about your pressure unit.

What is the Clapton equation for water ice coexistence?

The Clapton equation, also known as the Clapeyron equation, is an equation that describes the relationship between the temperature and pressure at which water can exist in both solid and liquid phases. It is expressed as dP/dT = L/TΔv, where dP/dT is the change in pressure over the change in temperature, L is the latent heat of fusion, T is the temperature, and Δv is the change in volume.

How is the Clapton equation used in scientific research?

The Clapton equation is used in various scientific fields, including meteorology, geology, and material science, to understand and predict the behavior of water under different conditions. It is also used in climate modeling to study the effects of changing temperatures and pressures on the Earth's water cycle.

What are the assumptions made in the Clapton equation?

The Clapton equation assumes that the water is in thermal equilibrium, that the phase change occurs at a constant temperature, and that the volume change is negligible. It also assumes that the latent heat of fusion is constant over the temperature range being studied.

Are there any limitations to the Clapton equation?

Yes, there are some limitations to the Clapton equation. It does not take into account other factors that may affect the phase change of water, such as impurities or external forces. It also assumes a linear relationship between pressure and temperature, which may not always hold true in certain systems.

How was the Clapton equation developed?

The Clapton equation was first derived by French physicist Benoît Paul Émile Clapeyron in 1834. He used the principles of thermodynamics and the ideal gas law to develop the equation, which has since been refined and expanded upon by other scientists.