Change in internal energy when water is heated from 0 to 4c

In summary: If you can find the change in internal energy from the given information, you're good to go.oh..ok..I thought you were giving a hint on how to approach the sum
randomgamernerd

Homework Statement

: [/B]Find the change in internal energy of 2kg water as it is heated from 0°C to 4°C. The specific heat capacity of water is 4200J/Kg and its densities at 0°C and 4°C are 999.9 kg/m3 and 1000kg/m3 respectively.
Atm pressure=105Pa

Homework Equations

:ΔU= Q-W
W=PΔV
M/V=D[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

:[/B]
ΔW = PΔV
P=105Pa

ΔV= M(1/D2-1/D1)
Plugging the values we get W=-0.02(Volume is decreasing...so definitel W should be negative)
Q=m.s.ΔT
= (2)(4200)(4)=33600
So
ΔU= 33600- (-0.02)
= 33600 + 0.02 J
But the answer is given
33600- 0.02

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer of (33600 + 0.02) J looks correct to me.

TSny said:
Your answer of (33600 + 0.02) J looks correct to me.
then it must be a printing error...right?

Since you are only given the heat capacity to 2 sig figs, correcting the answer by 0.02 seems pointless. But perhaps it's worth demonstrating that it's insignificant?

mjc123 said:
Since you are only given the heat capacity to 2 sig figs, correcting the answer by 0.02 seems pointless. But perhaps it's worth demonstrating that it's insignificant?
I'm sorry I didnt get you.

Unless otherwise indicated, 4200 means "between 4150 and 4250". Which means Q is between 33200 and 34000 J. With this imprecision, it is meaningless to talk of a correction of 0.02 J.

mjc123 said:
Unless otherwise indicated, 4200 means "between 4150 and 4250". Which means Q is between 33200 and 34000 J. With this imprecision, it is meaningless to talk of a correction of 0.02 J.
oh..ok..I thought you were giving a hint on how to approach the sum

My take on this problem is different. If the initial state is 2 kg water at 0 C and 1 atm, and the final state is 2 kg of water of 4 C and 1 atm, then the path between these two states is irrelevant (since U is a function only of state). Assuming that the specific heat capacity given in the problem statement is ##C_p##, the change in enthalpy between the two states is given by:$$\Delta H=mC_p\Delta T$$The change in internal energy between the two states follows from the definition of the change in enthalpy: $$\Delta H=\Delta U+\Delta (PV)=\Delta U+P_{atm}\Delta V$$So, combining these equations, we get $$\Delta U=mC_p\Delta T -P_{atm}\Delta V$$My point is, there is no need to directly apply the first law of thermodynamics to solve this problem.

1. How does the internal energy of water change when heated from 0 to 4 degrees Celsius?

The internal energy of water increases when heated from 0 to 4 degrees Celsius. This is because heat is being added to the water, causing the molecules to gain kinetic energy and vibrate faster, resulting in an increase in internal energy.

2. Why is there a change in internal energy when water is heated from 0 to 4 degrees Celsius?

When water is heated, the molecules gain kinetic energy and move faster, causing an increase in internal energy. This is due to the breaking of hydrogen bonds between water molecules, which requires energy.

3. Is there a difference in the change of internal energy when water is heated from 0 to 4 degrees Celsius, compared to other temperature ranges?

Yes, there is a difference in the change of internal energy when water is heated from 0 to 4 degrees Celsius compared to other temperature ranges. This is because at 0 degrees Celsius, water is in its solid state and requires energy to break the bonds between molecules, while at 4 degrees Celsius, water is in its liquid state and molecules are already in motion.

4. Does the change in internal energy of water when heated from 0 to 4 degrees Celsius have any practical applications?

Yes, the change in internal energy of water when heated from 0 to 4 degrees Celsius has several practical applications. For example, this temperature range is important in the study and control of water freezing and melting processes. It is also used in industries such as food and beverage processing, where precise temperature control is needed for certain products.

5. Can the change in internal energy of water when heated from 0 to 4 degrees Celsius be reversed?

Yes, the change in internal energy of water when heated from 0 to 4 degrees Celsius can be reversed by cooling the water back to its original temperature. As heat is removed from the water, the molecules will lose kinetic energy and slow down, causing a decrease in internal energy.