1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Clarification on finding acceleration

1. Sep 25, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If a block slides w/o friction down a fixed, inclined plane with an angle theta of 30 degrees, what is the block's acceleration?

(This problem is an example from my textbook, meaning the solution is available. I am confused on the method that they used. Any clarification is greatly appreciated.)

2. Relevant equations
    Textbook clipping.png
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I understand the process on how to determine the acceleration, I also understand the that to find velocity you integrate acceleration, I don't understand the purpose of the multiplication by 2(overdot)x. It seems as though its used to manipulate the constant acceleration.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2014 #2

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

It let's you set up a derivative product rule on the left hand side. It's a similar method to an integration factor when solving linear first order differential equations. This is the first time I've seen this done, though. Seems legit.

4. Sep 26, 2014 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You're starting with ##\ddot{x} = \frac{dv}{dt} = g\sin\theta##. When you integrate, you'd get
    $$\int_{v_0}^v dv = \int_{t_0}^t g\sin\theta\,dt = (g\sin\theta)(t-t_0),$$ which is fine if you're trying to calculate how fast the block is moving after a certain time. The problem, however, is asking you to find the speed after the block has slid a distance ##x_0##. By introducing the factor of ##\dot{x}## on the righthand side, you're changing variables from ##t## to ##x##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted