Clarification on L'Hopital's Rule?

In summary, l'Hopital's rule only applies when the limit on the left-hand side would give 0/0 or some other indeterminate form when directly evaluated. If you try to use it otherwise, you get gibberish.
krackers
The rule states that:

[itex] { lim }_{ x\rightarrow c }\quad \frac { f(x) }{ g(x) } \quad =\quad { lim }_{ x\rightarrow c }\quad \frac { f'(x) }{ g'(x) } [/itex]

Right?

So if

[itex] { lim }_{ x\rightarrow 2 }\frac { { x }^{ 2 }+1 }{ x-1 } \quad =\quad 5 [/itex]

Then shouldn't

[itex] { lim }_{ x\rightarrow 2 }\frac { { (x }^{ 2 }+1)' }{ (x-1)' } \quad =\quad 5 [/itex]

Also equal to 5? However, it equals to 4. Can someone help me understand why?

Physics news on Phys.org
l'Hopital's rule only applies when the limit on the left-hand side would give 0/0 or some other indeterminate form when directly evaluated. If you try to use it otherwise, you get gibberish.

Edit: Taylor expanding, on the other hand, will always give you a sensible result, and it makes l'Hopital's rule obsolete.

Muphrid said:
l'Hopital's rule only applies when the limit on the left-hand side would give 0/0 or some other indeterminate form when directly evaluated. If you try to use it otherwise, you get gibberish.

Edit: Taylor expanding, on the other hand, will always give you a sensible result, and it makes l'Hopital's rule obsolete.

What do you meal by taylor expanding? I think L'Hopital's rule is very far from obsolete.

A Taylor series expansion writes a function in terms of its derivatives at a specific point.

[tex]f(x) = f(a) + (x-a) f'(a) + \frac{1}{2!} (x-a)^2 f''(a) + \frac{1}{3!} (x-a)^3 f'''(a) + \ldots{}[/tex]

This can be used to explain why l'Hopital's rule works (and when it doesn't). Say that we're taking the limit as [itex]x \to a[/itex] and that there are two functions such that [itex]f(a) = g(a) = 0[/itex]. Taylor expanding both functions gives us

[tex]\lim_{x \to a} \frac{f(x)}{g(x)} = \lim_{x \to a} \frac{f(a) + (x-a) f'(a) + \ldots}{g(a) + (x-a)g'(a) + \ldots} = \lim_{x \to a} \frac{0 + (x-a)f'(a) + \ldots}{0 + (x-a)g'(a) + \ldots}[/tex]

Provided that [itex]f'(a), g'(a) \neq 0[/itex] (or infinity, or something equally ludicrous), you can see how cancelling out [itex](x-a)[/itex] will give l'Hopital's rule. The [itex]\ldots[/itex] can be safely ignored provided that both first derivatives are nonzero, and if they are both zero, then you can look at the next non-vanishing terms instead.

When [itex]f(a), g(a) \neq 0[/itex], you can read the limit off right away. Anything multiplied by [itex]x-a[/itex] will get very small compared to these constant terms as [itex]x \to a[/itex].

Taylor series expansions are a powerful, surefire way to deal with limits, but in the end, given that you've not even heard of them yet, I wouldn't worry about trying to use them now. Just use l'Hopital's rule only when it's warranted (and not when it's improper to use), and you should be fine. When you get to Taylor series (I assume you will at some point), do consider them for evaluating limits (and lots of other useful things).

I know what taylor expansions are, I just hadn't heard it used as a verb and I wasn't sure you were talking about that.

I see where the taylor method comes from, but when you are dealing with more complex stuff and especially when you are dealing with calculating end point behavior/rates of change, I think L'Hopital's rule is much cleaner and nicer.

1. What is L'Hopital's Rule?

L'Hopital's Rule, also known as the rule of de l'Hopital, is a mathematical theorem used to evaluate indeterminate forms of limits in calculus. It states that for certain types of functions, the limit of the ratio of their derivatives is equal to the limit of the original function. In simpler terms, it provides a way to solve limits involving fractions with zero in the numerator and denominator, or infinity over infinity.

2. When should L'Hopital's Rule be used?

L'Hopital's Rule should only be used when evaluating limits that are in an indeterminate form, such as 0/0 or ∞/∞. It is important to check if the limit is indeterminate before applying the rule, as using it incorrectly can lead to incorrect results.

3. What are the conditions for using L'Hopital's Rule?

The conditions for using L'Hopital's Rule are that the limit must be in an indeterminate form (0/0 or ∞/∞), the function must be differentiable in a neighborhood of the limit point, and the limit of the ratio of the derivatives must exist.

4. Can L'Hopital's Rule be used for limits involving trigonometric functions?

Yes, L'Hopital's Rule can be used for limits involving trigonometric functions as long as the limit is in an indeterminate form and the conditions for using the rule are met. However, it is important to convert the trigonometric functions into their equivalent forms using identities before applying the rule.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using L'Hopital's Rule?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using L'Hopital's Rule include applying it to limits that are not in an indeterminate form, using it when the limit does not exist, and forgetting to check the conditions before applying the rule. It is also important to simplify the expression before applying the rule, as using it on a complex expression can lead to incorrect results.