Using different limit laws give different answer?

• Thread starter FaroukYasser
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laws Limit
Thanks again for your help :)In summary, the conversation revolved around solving a challenge problem involving limits and the use of L'Hospital's rule. The first method used the product law of limits, but it was incorrect due to the fact that all factors must have limits. The
FaroukYasser
Hi,

My instructor gave us a challenge problem to solve in limits: ##\lim _{ x\rightarrow \infty }{ \left[ { x }^{ 2 }\left( 1-\cos { \frac { 5.1 }{ x } } \right) \right] } ## Note that we did not take Hospital's rule yet so we couldn't have used it.

Now my first thought was to use the product law of limits to get:

##\lim _{ x\rightarrow \infty }{ \left[ { x }^{ 2 }\left( 1-\cos { \frac { 5.1 }{ x } } \right) \right] } =\lim _{ x\rightarrow \infty }{ \left[ { x }^{ 2 } \right] } \cdot \lim _{ x\rightarrow \infty }{ \left[ \left( 1-\cos { \frac { 5.1 }{ x } } \right) \right] } \\ \lim _{ x\rightarrow \infty }{ \left[ { x }^{ 2 }\left( 1-\cos { \frac { 5.1 }{ x } } \right) \right] } =\lim _{ x\rightarrow \infty }{ \left[ { x }^{ 2 } \right] } \cdot 0\\ \lim _{ x\rightarrow \infty }{ \left[ { x }^{ 2 }\left( 1-\cos { \frac { 5.1 }{ x } } \right) \right] } =0##

But when I pressed submit, it gave me an incorrect answer. I tried playing with it algebraically and I ended up giving up and having to use L'Hospital rule, even though we haven't taken it yet. I did:

##\lim _{ x\rightarrow \infty }{ \left[ { x }^{ 2 }\left( 1-\cos { \frac { 5.1 }{ x } } \right) \right] } =\lim _{ x\rightarrow \infty }{ \left[ \frac { 1-\cos { \frac { 5.1 }{ x } } }{ \frac { 1 }{ { x }^{ 2 } } } \right] } \\ Using\quad Hospital's\quad rule:\\ \lim _{ x\rightarrow \infty }{ \left[ \frac { 1-\cos { \frac { 5.1 }{ x } } }{ \frac { 1 }{ { x }^{ 2 } } } \right] } =\lim _{ x\rightarrow \infty }{ \left[ 2.55x\sin { \frac { 5.1 }{ x } } \right] } \\ using\quad Hospital's\quad rule\quad again:\\ \lim _{ x\rightarrow \infty }{ \left[ 2.55x\sin { \frac { 5.1 }{ x } } \right] } =\lim _{ x\rightarrow \infty }{ \left[ 2.55\cdot 5.1\cdot \cos { \frac { 5.1 }{ x } } \right] } \\ =\lim _{ x\rightarrow \infty }{ \left[ \frac { 2601 }{ 200 } \sin { \frac { 5.1 }{ x } } \right] } =\frac { 2601 }{ 200 } ##

Can anyone tell me why the first method didn't give me the correct answer? Also any hints about how to solve this algebraically or using any way other than L'Hospotal's rule?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't a basic premise of the product limit rule that all factors have limits?

In your case, the x^2 limit does not and so it can't be applied.

http://dl.uncw.edu/digilib/mathematics/calculus/limits/freeze/limitlaws.html

Can you use the half-angle identities ie sin^2(x) = 1/2 * (1 - cos(2x)) to simplify the limit?

http://www.purplemath.com/modules/idents.htm

This is a pretty interesting function for 0<x<1 it has sine like properties that goes to 0 at x=0 and for large x it looks like (13-1/x). You have to zoom out on the x-axis to see it.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sa=N&hl=en&tab=lw&gws_rd=ssl#safe=off&hl=en&q=x^2*(1-cos(5.1/x))

Last edited:
jedishrfu said:
Isn't a basic premise of the product limit rule that all factors have limits?

In your case, the x^2 limit does not and so it can't be applied.

http://dl.uncw.edu/digilib/mathematics/calculus/limits/freeze/limitlaws.html

Can you use the half-angle identities ie sin^2(x) = 1/2 * (1 - cos(2x)) to simplify the limit?

http://www.purplemath.com/modules/idents.htm

This is a pretty interesting function for 0<x<1 it has sine like properties that goes to 0 at x=0 and for large x it looks like (13-1/x). You have to zoom out on the x-axis to see it.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sa=N&hl=en&tab=lw&gws_rd=ssl#safe=off&hl=en&q=x^2*(1-cos(5.1/x))

Thanks for replying.
I see now where the first method went wrong. However, I tried using the double angle formula and reached:

##\lim _{ x\rightarrow \infty }{ \left[ x^{ 2 }\left( 1-cos\left( \frac { 5.1 }{ x } \right) \right) \right] } =\lim _{ x\rightarrow \infty }{ \left[ 2x^{ 2 }\sin ^{ 2 }{ \left( \frac { 2.55 }{ x } \right) } \right] } \\ =2\lim _{ x\rightarrow \infty }{ \left[ x\sin { \left( \frac { 2.55 }{ x } \right) } \right] } ^{ 2 }=??##

But I seem to be stuck again. I think my problem is dealing with the x^2 so that I get rid of it without having a zero in the denominator and numerator (So I don't have to use L'Hospital rule)

Again, thanks a lot for your help.

What is the value of sin(t)/t, if t→0 ?

Hope this helps.

Likes FaroukYasser
Qwertywerty said:
What is the value of sin(t)/t, if t→0 ?

Hope this helps.

Hi, I know that the limit of sint/t as t approaches 0 is 1. I know a geometric proof to this as well as L'Hospital's method ie(lim(sint/t) = lim(cost/1). I am not sure how this could help me progress further taking into consideration that I don't want to use L'Hospital method if possible.

Sorry if my English isn't that good.

The other technique you need to use is a variable replacement say 2u= 5.1/x ie x = 5.1/(2 u) along with using the HALF-Angle identity.

This means you'll have to adjust the limit to be as u goes to zero.

Lastly, for very small u what is sin(u) approximately equal to (aka the small angle approximation)?

Likes FaroukYasser
Thanks a lot, finally figured it out :D

##2\lim _{ x\rightarrow \infty }{ \left[ x\sin { \left( \frac { 2.55 }{ x } \right) } \right] } ^{ 2 }\\ u=\frac { 2.55 }{ x } \quad \Rightarrow \quad x=\frac { 2.55 }{ u } \\ also\quad x\rightarrow \infty \quad when\quad u\rightarrow 0\\ \therefore \quad Limit\quad becomes:\\ 2\lim _{ u\rightarrow 0 }{ \left[ \frac { 2.55 }{ u } \sin { \left( u \right) } \right] } ^{ 2 }=2\cdot 2.55^{ 2 }\lim _{ u\rightarrow 0 }{ \left[ \frac { \sin { \left( u \right) } }{ u } \right] } ^{ 2 }\\ =\quad 2\cdot 2.55^{ 2 }\cdot 1\quad =\quad \frac { 2601 }{ 200 } ##

The substitution idea was totally out of my head. Thanks again :)

There's a way that's quite a bit simpler: multiply (1 - cos(5.1/x)) by 1 in the form of its conjugate over itself, then make a substitution u = 5.1/x, and use the fact that ##\lim_{u \to 0}\frac{\sin(u)}{u} = 1##. Note that if x → ∞, 1/x → ∞.

In a bit more detail,
##x^2(1 - \cos(5.1/x)) = x^2(1 - \cos(5.1/x)) \frac{1 + \cos(5.1/x)}{1 + \cos(5.1/x)} = x^2 \frac{1 - \cos^2(5.1/x)}{1 + \cos(5.1/x)} = x^2 \frac{\sin^2(5.1/x)}{1 + \cos(5.1/x)}##
The last expression can be split up into
##\frac{1}{1 + \cos(5.1/x)} \cdot x^2 \sin^2(5.1/x)##
The first factor has a limit as x → ∞, and the second factor can be manipulated via the substitution mentioned to a ##\sin(u)/u## limit. The resulting limit is as you show, or 13.005.

Likes FaroukYasser
jedishrfu said:
The other technique you need to use is a variable replacement say 2u= 5.1/x ie x = 5.1/(2 u) along with using the HALF-Angle identity.

This means you'll have to adjust the limit to be as u goes to zero.

Lastly, for very small u what is sin(u) approximately equal to (aka the small angle approximation)?
Mark44 said:
There's a way that's quite a bit simpler: multiply (1 - cos(5.1/x)) by 1 in the form of its conjugate over itself, then make a substitution u = 5.1/x, and use the fact that ##\lim_{u \to 0}\frac{\sin(u)}{u} = 1##. Note that if x → ∞, 1/x → ∞.

In a bit more detail,
##x^2(1 - \cos(5.1/x)) = x^2(1 - \cos(5.1/x)) \frac{1 + \cos(5.1/x)}{1 + \cos(5.1/x)} = x^2 \frac{1 - \cos^2(5.1/x)}{1 + \cos(5.1/x)} = x^2 \frac{\sin^2(5.1/x)}{1 + \cos(5.1/x)}##
The last expression can be split up into
##\frac{1}{1 + \cos(5.1/x)} \cdot x^2 \sin^2(5.1/x)##
The first factor has a limit as x → ∞, and the second factor can be manipulated via the substitution mentioned to a ##\sin(u)/u## limit. The resulting limit is as you show, or 13.005.

Thanks for taking the time to answer :) I appreciate all the different solutions.

1. What are limit laws?

Limit laws are a set of mathematical rules or principles that are used to evaluate limits of various functions. These laws allow us to manipulate and simplify expressions in order to determine the value of a limit.

2. How does using different limit laws affect the answer?

Using different limit laws can affect the answer because each law may have its own set of assumptions and restrictions. This can lead to different approaches and methods of solving the limit, resulting in a different final answer.

3. Can using different limit laws lead to incorrect answers?

Yes, using different limit laws can sometimes lead to incorrect answers. This is because certain limit laws may not be applicable to certain functions or may require certain conditions to be met. It is important to carefully consider which limit law to use in order to ensure an accurate answer.

4. How do I know which limit law to use?

Determining which limit law to use can be challenging, but it ultimately depends on the specific function and the form it is in. It is important to understand the properties and restrictions of each limit law in order to determine the most appropriate one for a given problem.

5. Is it possible to use multiple limit laws in one problem?

Yes, it is possible to use multiple limit laws in one problem. In fact, it is often necessary to use multiple laws in order to simplify and evaluate a limit. However, it is important to ensure that the laws used are compatible and do not contradict each other.