1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Clarification on tension problem

1. May 8, 2016 #1
    • Thread moved from the technical forums, so no HH Template is shown.
    I'm having trouble solving this problem. I did Google the solution with the steps, which I managed to actually get right in all aspects except for a small part in the trigonometry that throws me off.

0332207068.png

I drew my FBD's correctly, hopefully. I'm not sure how I can draw nice looking FBDs online, but here goes.

b9c027fdfb.jpg

In the solution it says that the acceleration of mass A is mg * sin (theta). Why is that so? I thought that we're trying to get gravity's force on the object with the formula: sin (theta) = (mA * g) / hypotenuse ----------->
    hypotenuse = (mA * g) / sin (theta). That way we'd get the force in the direction opposite to the force of tension, which is caused by mB * g?

If I'm not wrong, isn't sin (theta = opp / hypotenuse? How did they get sin (theta) * mAg when that isn't even feasible in the trigonometry equation of sin(theta) = (mAg)/hypotenuse?

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi Xari, :welcome:

It says the acceleration is along the inclined plane, the x-axis therefore. The equations shown are in terms of force, not acceleration.
    You are not wrong. Project mg onto the inclined plane and you'll see ##\theta## sitting there
    upload_2016-5-8_23-26-22.png

4. May 8, 2016 #3
    Omg that makes me so angry. Trig is so slippery!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted