Problem with Dynamic blocks on a fixed inclined plane

• Thread starter physicsissohard
  • Start date
physicsissohard
Homework Statement
Block a of mass m is placed over a wedge of the same mass m. Both the block and wedge are placed on a fixed inclined plane. assuming all surfaces to be smooth calculate the displacement of block in ground frame in 1 s
Relevant Equations
the homework question.
This is what I thought. since the y component of both their accelerations will be same. we can do this. Mg-N=ma where N is the normal force. and for the wedge it is N+Mgsin^2(theta)=ma using second law of motion where N is the normal force. sin^2(theta) because i resolved gravity twice. now if you elminate N from the equation you get g(1+sin^2(theta))/2 and if you put it in the law of kinematics with t=1 it becomes g(1+sin^2(theta))/4. But apparently thats not the correct answer and I have no idea why.

Attachments

• 1693445235717.png
    1693445235717.png
    9 KB · Views: 37
Physics news on Phys.org
physicsissohard said:
Homework Statement: Block a of mass m is placed over a wedge of the same mass m. Both the block and wedge are placed on a fixed inclined plane. assuming all surfaces to be smooth calculate the displacement of block in ground frame in 1 s
Relevant Equations: the homework question.

This is what I thought. since the y component of both their accelerations will be same. we can do this. Mg-N=ma where N is the normal force. and for the wedge it is N+Mgsin^2(theta)=ma using second law of motion where N is the normal force. sin^2(theta) because i resolved gravity twice. now if you elminate N from the equation you get g(1+sin^2(theta))/2 and if you put it in the law of kinematics with t=1 it becomes g(1+sin^2(theta))/4. But apparently thats not the correct answer and I have no idea why.
Do you have an accompanying diagram by any chance?

1693445210093.png

Likes erobz
Write Newtons 2nd for the wedged shaped block in the vertical direction. A FBD would be good practice.

Another tip would be to designate the normal forces by double subscripts. i.e. the normal force acting on block B from the fixed incline might be ##N_{IB}##, and the normal force from block A acting on B might be designated as ##N_{AB}##.

Try to take a minute to learn LaTeX Guide. We use it to make the math easily readable and quotable.

Last edited:
Likes berkeman and Lnewqban
physicsissohard said:
for the wedge it is N+Mgsin^2(theta)=ma
You have overlooked that N, the normal force between block and wedge, increases the normal force between wedge and ramp, and that this last has a vertical component.

Likes Lnewqban
erobz said:
Write Newtons 2nd for the wedged shaped block in the vertical direction. A FBD would be good practice.

Another tip would be to designate the normal forces by double subscripts. i.e. the normal force acting on block B from the fixed incline might be ##N_{IB}##, and the normal force from block A acting on B might be designated as ##N_{AB}##.

Try to take a minute to learn LaTeX Guide. We use it to make the math easily readable and quotable.

haruspex said:
You have overlooked that N, the normal force between block and wedge, increases the normal force between wedge and ramp, and that this last has a vertical component.
can u complete the solution

physicsissohard said:
We aren't permitted to hand out solutions right away. You need to make an effort into applying the advice given to you, and we will help you along the way if you get stuck. The objective is for you to learn. If you have specific questions about what was asked of you please let us know.

physicsissohard said:
@erobz told you how to proceed in post #4. Draw separate FBDs for the two bodies and write their F=ma equations. I merely pointed out where your attempt went wrong.

Likes erobz
erobz said:
We aren't permitted to hand out solutions right away. You need to make an effort into applying the advice given to you, and we will help you along the way if you get stuck. The objective is for you to learn. If you have specific questions about what was asked of you please let us know.

Thanks, I re-solved it. I am getting the solution. yeah the normal force exerted on the wedge by the block also needs to be resolved into components. im so dumb

Last edited by a moderator:
physicsissohard said:
Thanks, I re-solved it. I am getting the solution. yeah the normal force exerted on the wedge by the block also needs to be resolved into components. im so dumb
Inexperienced is not dumb. Don't be hard on yourself, it takes time and sometimes struggle.

• Care
Likes Lnewqban and berkeman

1. What is a dynamic block on a fixed inclined plane?

A dynamic block on a fixed inclined plane refers to a block or object that is moving on an inclined plane with a fixed angle of inclination. This means that the angle of the plane does not change, but the block can still move and experience changes in velocity and acceleration.

2. What is the problem with dynamic blocks on a fixed inclined plane?

The problem with dynamic blocks on a fixed inclined plane is that they can experience unbalanced forces due to the effects of gravity and the angle of inclination. This can make it difficult to accurately predict the motion and behavior of the block.

3. How do you calculate the forces on a dynamic block on a fixed inclined plane?

To calculate the forces on a dynamic block on a fixed inclined plane, you will need to use trigonometry and Newton's laws of motion. You will need to consider the weight of the block, the normal force from the plane, and the force of friction, if applicable.

4. How does the angle of inclination affect the motion of a dynamic block on a fixed inclined plane?

The angle of inclination can significantly affect the motion of a dynamic block on a fixed inclined plane. A steeper angle will result in a greater component of the weight of the block acting down the plane, causing the block to accelerate faster. A shallower angle will result in a smaller component of the weight acting down the plane, causing the block to accelerate slower.

5. What are some real-life applications of the problem with dynamic blocks on a fixed inclined plane?

The problem with dynamic blocks on a fixed inclined plane has real-life applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, and sports. For example, engineers may need to consider the effects of inclined planes on moving objects when designing structures or machines. In sports, athletes may need to understand how the angle of a slope can affect their speed and acceleration when skiing or skateboarding.