Clarification, please about quoting profanity?

  • Thread starter Nik_2213
  • Start date
  • #1
Nik_2213
1,186
462
I thoughtlessly quoted a post which had a sufficiently rude word in it for my reply to be removed.
My bad,...
If I had '***' that rude word, would my reply still be removed because original post was rude ??
Clarification, please ?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2
Yes, it's at the discretion of the moderators to edit/delete profanities in a post, or delete it altogether. So simply pasting in a quote and *** the sensitive (until that time non-moderated) part won't guarantee you anything. A moderator may choose to delete a whole conversation, if he/she thinks it started with a violent message.
 
  • Like
Likes topsquark and Nik_2213
  • #3
Nik_2213 said:
I thoughtlessly quoted a post which had a sufficiently rude word in it for my reply to be removed.
My bad,...
It must not have been that bad, since I don't see any warning on your record for it.

Nik_2213 said:
If I had '***' that rude word, would my reply still be removed because original post was rude ??
Clarification, please ?
Since the forum software generally converts most profanity to stars, most readers will see the same thing. So you substituting stars in your post doesn't really change the nature of the "profanity" in the post. It's generally better to just use a non-profane term or phrase that means approximately the same thing, like "bull manure" or "freaking", etc. :wink:
 
  • #4
I made a quote not more than about a month ago, containing a dirty word; but I altered the quote of that piece of vocabulary. No problem seen from doing that.
 
  • #5
Golly.
 
  • #6
symbolipoint said:
I made a quote not more than about a month ago, containing a dirty word; but I altered the quote of that piece of vocabulary. No problem seen from doing that.
I'm British. I do not expect the profane on pf. I would be dash unhappy in fact. Absolutely not cricket.
 
  • #7
pinball1970 said:
I'm British. I do not expect the profane on pf. I would be dash unhappy in fact. Absolutely not cricket.
That's because the British have code words for *everything*, including profanity. I don't even want to know what 'cricket' means... :wink:
 
  • Haha
Likes phinds
  • #8
pinball1970 said:
I'm British. I do not expect the profane on pf.
The filter actually seems to have a blind spot for British profanity...
 
  • Wow
Likes berkeman
  • #9
How many years did it take until we could write Lifshitz (Lifgarbagez) here?
 
  • Haha
  • Like
Likes BillTre and berkeman
  • #10
Ibix said:
The filter actually seems to have a blind spot for British profanity...
Where? As a British man, an English person on pf I will stamp that out sir. Where I can.
 
  • #11
pinball1970 said:
Where? As a British man, an English person on pf I will stamp that out sir. Where I can.
Well, it let 'cricket' through after all. Duh.
 
  • #12
berkeman said:
Well, it let 'cricket' through after all. Duh.
"Cricket" is the gentleman's game. It means the proper thing and the respectful way to behave.
I suddenly feel a bit colonial. It's all friends now right?
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes hutchphd and berkeman
  • #13
pinball1970 said:
I'm British. I do not expect the profane on pf. I would be dash unhappy in fact. Absolutely not cricket.
I was a sailor for a while, as was my Dad.
I don't give a dash about the whole thing (see, anything can stand in for a word that is socially unacceptable to some).
Remember, it not the words that are bad, it's the thoughts in your head.
 
  • #14
pinball1970 said:
Where? As a British man, an English person on pf I will stamp that out sir. Where I can.
Well, I should bloody hell hope so.
 
  • Haha
  • Wow
Likes SammyS, symbolipoint and BillTre
  • #15
BillTre said:
I was a sailor for a while, as was my Dad.
I don't give a dash about the whole thing
Please remember that we do have some younger members (I forget the minimum age for official membership here, maybe 14 y/o?), so it's not just us older sailors and medics that you are sending your messages to.

On the looser-language EMS forum that I frequent, we can generally assume that all members have a medical license, which usually means they are at least 17 y/o and are used to seeing blood and guts and death and stuff, so a little profanity mixed in is not all that out of place.
 
  • Like
Likes pinball1970 and symbolipoint
  • #16
berkeman said:
Well, it let 'cricket' through after all. Duh.
Cultural since cricket is far more likely to mean either the game played using paddles on a field, or the crustacean animal.
 
  • #17
symbolipoint said:
crustacean animal
insect animal
 
  • Like
Likes pinball1970
  • #18
berkeman said:
Please remember that we do have some younger members (I forget the minimum age for official membership here, maybe 14 y/o?), so it's not just us older sailors and medics that you are sending your messages to.

On the looser-language EMS forum that I frequent, we can generally assume that all members have a medical license, which usually means they are at least 17 y/o and are used to seeing blood and guts and death and stuff, so a little profanity mixed in is not all that out of place.
"Bloody" would be properly understood based on context. This forum I am best guessing will not see it as a dirty word.
 
  • #19
BillTre said:
insect animal
I was not sure. I could not remember exactly what things are and are not "insects". Much of my taxonomy understanding has decreased. Some bugs I know to call insects and some I am not sure.
 
  • #20
six legs (and usually 4 wings) => insect

crustaceans are more diverse
 
  • #21
Thanks BillTre.
Reminder: Topic is "Clarification, please about quoting profanity".
 
  • Like
Likes Nik_2213

Similar threads

  • Feedback and Announcements
Replies
2
Views
821
  • Feedback and Announcements
Replies
1
Views
888
  • Feedback and Announcements
3
Replies
71
Views
4K
  • Thermodynamics
Replies
3
Views
1K
  • Feedback and Announcements
Replies
2
Views
1K
  • Mechanical Engineering
Replies
8
Views
828
  • Feedback and Announcements
Replies
3
Views
863
  • Feedback and Announcements
Replies
23
Views
2K
  • Feedback and Announcements
Replies
9
Views
1K
  • Feedback and Announcements
Replies
5
Views
927
Back
Top