Clarification Rq for linear density

In summary, the chart shows that the maximum load a 2 meter length of 11 mm wire rope can take is 49.2 kg/m.
hassannnnnnnnnn
TL;DR Summary
I am trying to choose Elevator wire, chart shows max load reading in KG/m. Does it mean if length increases weight will increases as well ?
Example;
If max load of wire is 0.492kg/m.
And i am using 2 meter does it mean capacity of wire would be 0.984 kg/m.
I am trying to choose Elevator wire, chart shows max load reading in KG/m. Does it mean if length increases weight will increases as well ?
Example;

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
hassannnnnnnnnn said:
Are you sure this isn't the mass of the wire?

Likes Motore
If max load is 0.492 kg/m, capacity of a 2m wire would be 0.984 kg. Not kg/m.

Likes hassannnnnnnnnn
hassannnnnnnnnn said:
I am trying to choose Elevator wire
Thread closed temporarily for Moderation.

@hassannnnnnnnnn -- The word "elevator" has several possible meanings, including some applications that affect life safety. Please send me a private message (PM -- click on my avatar and "Start a conversation") to let me know exactly what your application is. If it is a simple lift for transferring food between floors or something, we may be able to allow that discussion. Thank you.

hassannnnnnnnnn said:
Example;
I don't believe you are reading the chart correctly. If you are asking about 11 mm wire rope, the weight of the wire rope is 49.2 Kg per 100 m, or .492 Kg/m. The carrying capacity is completely different.

Likes berkeman
No message to me from the OP, so the thread will stay closed for safety reasons.

1. What is linear density?

Linear density, also known as linear mass density, is a measure of the mass per unit length of a one-dimensional object. It is typically represented by the symbol ρ (rho) and is calculated by dividing the mass of the object by its length.

2. How is linear density different from density?

While density is a measure of the mass per unit volume of an object, linear density specifically refers to the mass per unit length of a one-dimensional object. In other words, density is a three-dimensional measurement, while linear density is a one-dimensional measurement.

3. What units are used to measure linear density?

The most commonly used units for linear density are grams per centimeter (g/cm) or kilograms per meter (kg/m). However, other units such as pounds per inch (lb/in) or ounces per foot (oz/ft) may also be used.

4. How is linear density used in science?

Linear density is used in various scientific fields such as physics, engineering, and materials science. It is often used to calculate the strength and flexibility of materials, as well as to determine the mass of one-dimensional objects such as wires, strings, and cables.

5. What is the importance of clarification Rq for linear density?

Clarification Rq (Research Question) for linear density is important because it helps to define the specific focus of a research project or experiment. It allows scientists to clearly state the question they are seeking to answer and helps to guide their research and data analysis.