Clarifications on some types of proofs

• Thread starter Panphobia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proofs
In summary, to prove an implication p ##\Rightarrow## q by contradiction, you must assume that p is true and q is false, and show that this leads to a contradiction.
Panphobia

Homework Statement

So I would know how to prove a statement like [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] by contradiction, all you have to do is assume to negation. But what about something like

p → q
Like if p = (bc mod a != 0), q = (b mod a != 0), how would I prove this, would I negate q or p, or both?

Physics news on Phys.org
Panphobia said:

Homework Statement

So I would know how to prove a statement like [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] by contradiction, all you have to do is assume to negation. But what about something like

p → q
Like if p = (bc mod a != 0), q = (b mod a != 0), how would I prove this, would I negate q or p, or both?

First off, ##\sqrt{2}## is not a statement. Since you are using logic to prove or disprove statements, it's important to understand what a statement is. The statement you're referring to is probably "##\sqrt{2}## is an irrational number."

To prove an implication p ##\Rightarrow## q by contradiction, assume that p is true and that q is false. If you arrive at a contradiction, that means that the assumption itself was faulty, and that the implication must be true. The reason for this is that p ##\Rightarrow## q is equivalent to ~p ##\vee## q. The negation of the implication is equivalent to ~(~p ##\vee## q), which is equivalent to p ##\wedge## ~q. In other words, that p is true and that q is false.

A proof by contradiction entails assuming that the given statement is false, and then showing that that assumption must itself be false, thereby making the original statement true.

1. What are the different types of proofs used in science?

There are several types of proofs used in science, including empirical evidence, mathematical proofs, experimental proofs, and statistical proofs. These types of proofs all rely on different methods of gathering and analyzing data to support a scientific claim.

2. What is the difference between a direct proof and an indirect proof?

A direct proof is a method of proof that uses logical steps to directly prove a statement or theorem. An indirect proof, also known as proof by contradiction, assumes the opposite of what is to be proven and then shows that this assumption leads to a contradiction, thus proving the original statement.

3. How do scientists determine the validity of a proof?

Scientists determine the validity of a proof by examining the evidence and methods used to support a claim. This includes evaluating the reliability and accuracy of data, as well as the logical reasoning used in the proof. Peer review and replication of experiments also play a crucial role in determining the validity of a proof.

4. Can a single proof be considered conclusive in science?

No, a single proof is not considered conclusive in science. This is because science is an ever-evolving field and new evidence can always come to light that may change our understanding of a particular concept. Therefore, multiple proofs and studies are needed to support a scientific claim.

5. How do scientists address conflicting proofs?

When there are conflicting proofs in science, scientists will carefully examine the methods and evidence used in each proof to determine which is more reliable. They may also conduct further studies and experiments to gather more evidence and reach a consensus on the validity of a particular claim.