1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Clarifications on some types of proofs

1. Mar 19, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

So I would know how to prove a statement like [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] by contradiction, all you have to do is assume to negation. But what about something like

p → q
    Like if p = (bc mod a != 0), q = (b mod a != 0), how would I prove this, would I negate q or p, or both?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2014 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

First off, ##\sqrt{2}## is not a statement. Since you are using logic to prove or disprove statements, it's important to understand what a statement is. The statement you're referring to is probably "##\sqrt{2}## is an irrational number."

To prove an implication p ##\Rightarrow## q by contradiction, assume that p is true and that q is false. If you arrive at a contradiction, that means that the assumption itself was faulty, and that the implication must be true. The reason for this is that p ##\Rightarrow## q is equivalent to ~p ##\vee## q. The negation of the implication is equivalent to ~(~p ##\vee## q), which is equivalent to p ##\wedge## ~q. In other words, that p is true and that q is false.

A proof by contradiction entails assuming that the given statement is false, and then showing that that assumption must itself be false, thereby making the original statement true.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted