Proof: There Exists a prime p such that p=< sqrt(n)

In summary, the FTOA proves that there exists a prime p such that p|n and p≤ sqrt(n). This proves that n can be written uniquely as a product of primes, and also proves that p ≤ sqrt(n). If we assume that all prime divisors of n are greater than sqrt(n), then we can easily show that n can be broken down into factos of primes and at the least case being two primes which would be incompatible.
RJLiberator
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Question: Let n> 1 be an integer which is not prime. Prove that there exists a prime p such that p|n and p≤ sqrt(n).

Homework Equations

Fundamental theorem of arithmetic: Every integer n >1 can be written uniquely (up to order) as a product of primes.

The Attempt at a Solution

Pf. By the F.T.O.A. there exists a prime p such that p|n. [this proves part 1 of the question
We can write n = pq where q,p ∈ℤ and 1 ≤p, q ≤n.
Suppose p ≤ q. For contradiction, assume p > sqrt(n).
Then q ≥ p > sqrt(n). However, if this is true, then:
n = pq > sqrt(n)sqrt(n) > n, and we have a contradiction.
so p ≤ sqrt(n). I feel moderately confident with this proof. Are there any holes that you detect?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yep, there is one. How may you assume p ≤ q? What if n = 76 = 4 * 19? Here 19 > sqrt(76). You need to consider this case.

Likes RJLiberator
@fresh_42 Hmm...

So what you are telling me is I need to break it up into cases.
Its easy enough to prove that there exists some prime p by FTOA.
But we don't know if p > q or if p ≤ q.
So we break it into two cases where I have already shown the case p ≤ q.

Case 2: p > q
I'm struggling here, but we know that n can be broken up into 2 primes by FTOA so with p > q, then we know that q is either a prime which then you can use case 1, or q can be broken up into primes.
I feel like this is not necessary? I understand your example of 76, but we have 4 * 19 which is just 2*38 and here the prime 2 would be p < q.

Just assume all primes that divide n are greater than sqrt(n).

Likes RJLiberator
Hm.

But how can we assume that all primes that divide n are greater than sqrt(n)? One might be, but one has to not be.

I see what you are saying that when I suppose p ≤ q that there is something I might be missing in my proof.
In my head, I see if q ≤ p then, as stated in my reply post, q can either be broken up into primes itself or is already prime and less than sqrt(n).

I'm not sure if my initial proof covers all this. Hm.
If I were to assume that all primes > sqrt(n) then we can easily show that n can be broken down into factos of primes and at the least case being two primes which would be incompatible. I see where this is going. Perhaps this is a bit more difficult to write out, as I can easily write it out for the case where there is 2 prime factors, but I'd have to make it for the general case (which is obvious as sqrt(n)sqrt(n)sqrt(n) is clearly greater than n in the prime = 3 factors case)...

Your proof has been almost perfect. If you assume all prime divisors of n being greater than its root it will immediately lead to the contradiction you showed: ##n=p_1^{r_1} \cdot ... \cdot p_k^{r_k} ∧ \sum^{i=k}_{i=1} r_i ≥ 2 ⇒ n ≥ min \{p_i\}^2 > \sqrt{n} \sqrt{n} = n ##. So the assumption ##∀ p|n : p > \sqrt{n}## is wrong, i.e. its negation is true: ## ∃ p|n : p ≤ \sqrt{n}##.
As I said, you've been close to correct.

Last edited:
Likes RJLiberator
Ohhhh, I see.
That makes a lot of sense.
Since I only need to show the existence of one of them, assuming all are > sqrt(n) is highly logical as this makes the proof easier.

Thank you greatly.

1. What is proof of existence of a prime p?

The proof of existence of a prime p is a mathematical demonstration that shows there exists a prime number p that is equal to or less than the square root of a given number n.

2. Why is it important to prove the existence of a prime p?

Proving the existence of a prime p is important because it helps us understand the distribution of prime numbers and their relationship with other numbers. It also has practical applications in cryptography and number theory.

3. How is the proof of existence of a prime p determined?

The proof of existence of a prime p is determined using various mathematical techniques and theorems, such as the Prime Number Theorem and the Sieve of Eratosthenes. These methods help identify the existence of primes within a given range or limit.

4. Is there a specific value for p in the proof of existence of a prime p?

No, there is no specific value for p in the proof of existence of a prime p. The value of p can vary depending on the given number n and the methods used to prove its existence. However, the proof guarantees the existence of at least one prime p that satisfies the given conditions.

5. How does the proof of existence of a prime p relate to the Goldbach Conjecture?

The proof of existence of a prime p is closely related to the Goldbach Conjecture, which states that every even number greater than 2 can be expressed as the sum of two prime numbers. The existence of a prime p satisfying the given conditions can help in the verification of the Goldbach Conjecture for a given even number.