Classic Angular momentum problem

In summary: Sorry, i don't understand the question …the angular momentum about which point? :confused:I'm not sure. That's the whole question. It just states:After the collisions the center-of-mass has a linear velocity V and an angular velocity ω about the center-of-mass “+ cm”.What is the velocity V of the center-of-mass of the system after the collision?So I'm assuming its about the center of mass, but it doesn't say specifically. Sorry I can't be of more help.
TheOriginalTy

Homework Statement

Assume: This collision takes place in outer
space where there is no gravitational field and no friction.
A small piece of putty of mass 31 g and negligible size has a speed of 2.5 m/s. It makes a collision with a rod of length 3 cm and mass 83 g (initially at rest) such that the putty hits the very end of the rod. The putty sticks to the end of the rod and spins around after the collision.

After the collisions the center-of-mass has a linear velocity V and an angular velocity ω about the center-of-mass “+ cm”.
What is the velocity V of the center-of-mass of the system after the collision?
Answer in units of m/s.

Homework Equations

Icm = 1/12 MR^2
Ipm = MR^2

The Attempt at a Solution

First I said that that the moment of inertia for the system is
I=1/12(M+m)R^2 ("M" being the mass of the rod and "m" being the mass of the putty)

Then using conservation of angular momentum i got:

mR^2w = (R^2/12)(M+m)w

substituting the respect v's (and Rs) in for w i got:
mv1R = (R/12)(M+m)v2

then

v2 = 12mv1/(M+m)

plugging in my numbers i got [12(31)(2.5)]/[(31+83)] = 8.16 m/s
Is this correct or did I leave something out? The answer doesn't look right to me just because it's 3 times bigger than the original velocity, but I'm not sure at all.

Feedback?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi TheOriginalTy! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have an omega: ω and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
TheOriginalTy said:
I=1/12(M+m)R^2 ("M" being the mass of the rod and "m" being the mass of the putty)

Nooo :redface: … m is a lump, not a rod! :biggrin:

tiny-tim said:
Hi TheOriginalTy! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have an omega: ω and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

Nooo :redface: … m is a lump, not a rod! :biggrin:

Once it sticks to the rod doesn't the moment of inertia of the rod include the mass of the putty lump as well? Considering that it said that size is negligible so it doesn't change the shape of the rod.

TheOriginalTy said:
Considering that it said that size is negligible so it doesn't change the shape of the rod.

It does change the shape of the rod!

The rod used to be uniform, now it's got a lump on the end!

Only if the putty was spread out over the whole rod could you just add the masses.

1/12 MR2 is only for a uniform rod.

Okay thanks. I understand that now. I got 0.6798 as the velocity and that's correct. but now I have another problem.

I need to find the angular speed and the angular momentum right after the collision.

for angular speed i used that w= v/r and had 0.6798(m/s) /.015 (m) = 45.32 (rad/s)

But this is not correct. help?

Also. for angular momentum I got L= I*v/r and had (1/12M + M)*R*v

> = (.03792)(.015)(.6798) = .0003866 kg*m2/s

This is also wrong. Help?

Hi TheOriginalTy! :smile:

(just got up :zzz: …)
TheOriginalTy said:
for angular speed i used that w= v/r and had 0.6798(m/s) /.015 (m) = 45.32 (rad/s)

(what happened to that ω i gave you? :confused:)

no, ω = v/r only applies where one point is fixed, and another point a distance r away has speed v

in this case, v is the speed of the (new) centre of mass, and goodness-knows where the fixed point (the centre of rotation) is! :wink:

You need to find ω some other way. :smile:
I need to find … the angular momentum right after the collision.

Sorry, i don't understand the question …

the angular momentum about which point? :confused:

1. What is the classic angular momentum problem?

The classic angular momentum problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the angular momentum of an object rotating around an axis. It is a fundamental concept in classical mechanics and is often used to analyze the motion of rotating objects such as planets, satellites, and spinning tops.

2. How is angular momentum calculated?

Angular momentum is calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia of an object by its angular velocity. The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion and is dependent on the object's mass distribution and the axis of rotation. Angular velocity is the rate at which an object rotates around an axis.

3. What is the conservation of angular momentum?

The conservation of angular momentum states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant in the absence of external torques. This means that if no external forces act on a rotating object, its angular momentum will remain constant. This principle is often used to analyze and predict the motion of objects in rotational systems.

4. How does angular momentum relate to torque?

Torque, or the rotational equivalent of force, is directly proportional to the rate of change of angular momentum. This means that a larger torque will result in a greater change in angular momentum, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the famous equation: τ = Iα, where τ is the torque, I is the moment of inertia, and α is the angular acceleration.

5. What are some real-life applications of the classic angular momentum problem?

The classic angular momentum problem has many practical applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, and astronomy. Some examples include analyzing the motion of satellites and spacecraft, designing gyroscopes for navigation systems, and understanding the behavior of spinning objects such as tops and yo-yos.