Classical Explanation for Photoelectric Effect

In summary: But it does seem that he at least considered the possibility that photons could have some sort of non-quantum behavior.In summary, the photoelectric effect cannot be explained with classical physics, but this does not mean that photons are not involved. This phenomena can be explained with the photon theory, which is still useful.
The "classical explanation" is actually more quantum mechanical, in the sense that the light described by Maxwell's equations is in a coherent state (in the general quantum mechanical meaning of "coherent", i.e. the photons are not entangled with the rest of the universe), while what we call the "quantum explanation", is more classical (single particle collisions which is incoherent).

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
this pdf offers an absurdly simply solution to the time lag question. it suggests that every atom (or material as a whole) is 'preloaded' with (a reservoir of) energy because its been slowly absorbing background radiation over a long period of time. surely it can't be that simple. there must be some way of testing this.
http://www.wbabin.net/science/maji4.pdf
Actually the electrons in the metal surface are continuously absorbing
energy from external electromagnetic waves which are always present even if no external
light source is applied as complete darkness is unattainable. Therefore the loosely bound
electrons get energized continuously until they got enough energy to escape from the
metal surface. As this is impossible to know when an electron starts absorbing energy i.e.
there is no way to detect the theoretical time lag.

edit:eek:r maybe the material is simply 'born' with this 'energy reservoir' (which the materials electrons share). in the past I would not have believed that a collection of atoms could have such a behavior but knowing now what I do about the seemingly impossible quantum mechanical properties of solids (like superconductivity) I'm prepared to think that there might actually be something to this.

most of the papers on the site mentioned above appear to be garbage. but the front page contains a very nice list of 'historical' papers down at the bottom.

Last edited:
granpa said:
this pdf offers an absurdly simply solution to the time lag question. it suggests that every atom is 'preloaded' with energy because its been slowly absorbing background radiation over a long period of time. surely it can't be that simple. there must be some way of testing this.

but seriously, we discuss peer reviewed articles here, not some Indian mumbo jumbo crap

granpa said:
this pdf offers an absurdly simply solution to the time lag question. it suggests that every atom is 'preloaded' with energy because its been slowly absorbing background radiation over a long period of time. surely it can't be that simple. there must be some way of testing this.

That already caused me to suspect that whoever wrote this has no clue of the difference between atomic physics and solid state physics, that the standard photoelectric effect on METALS reflects MORE on the solid nature of the material than the individual atoms that make up the metal. For example, try to find an atom that can produce a dispersion curve similar to my AVATAR. You'll find NONE!

So why are you propagating such nonsense here? Are you bored and would like valid and reputable sources on photoemission phenomenon?

Zz.

it wasnt the pdf that I wanted to discuss. it was the idea.

'atom' was my choice of words and it was a poor choice. it does not appear in the pdf. I was trying to give a short quick explanation, from memory, of what the author was saying but I got mixed up. the author never said 'atom'.

my thinking is that it is the material itself as a whole (not individual atoms) that has some kind of 'energy reservoir'. and perhaps every material is 'born' with this 'energy reservoir'. then the effect wouldn't depend on the samples history. (btw, liquids also produce the photoelectric effect)

as each electron continuously absorbs energy from light waves it sends this energy (continuously) to this reservoir but at each moment there is a small probability, which depends on the frequency/frequencies, that it will be ejected (the energy coming from the reservoir)

like I said below:
in the past I would not have believed that a collection of atoms could have such a behavior but knowing now what I do about the seemingly impossible quantum mechanical properties of solids (like superconductivity) I'm prepared to think that there might actually be something to this.

low energy photons wouldn't produce the photoelectric effect because the electrons couldn't escape the material due to its 'work function'. (which is the standard explanation anyway)

Last edited:
ZapperZ said:
So why are you propagating such nonsense here?

Good question - but do you really want an answer?

The idea that atoms somehow slowly "preload" themselves with energy, it violates a number of experimental observations:

• All atoms of a given isotope are identical
  • The photoelectric effect doesn't depend on previous applications of the photoelectric effect to the same sample (barring photocathode damage, of course)
  • High intensity low energy photons do not induce photoemission

Maybe more.

granpa said:
it wasnt the pdf that I wanted to discuss. it was the idea.

'atom' was my choice of words and it was a poor choice. it does not appear in the pdf.

Then obviously your "idea" was clearly wrong.

Zz.