1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classical Mechanics: Finding force, equilibrium points, turning points

1. Jan 21, 2012 #1
    Classical Mechanics: Finding force, equilibrium points, turning points....

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The potential energy between two atoms in a molecule is
    U(x) = −1/x^6 +1/x^12
    Assume that one of the atoms is very heavy and remains at the origin at rest, and the
    other (m = 1) is much less massive and moves only in the x-direction.
    (a) Find the force F(x).
    (b) Find the equilibrium point x0 and check stability. Give a numerical value for x0
    (c) If the system has a total energy E = −0.2, find the turning points, and the period
    of oscillation.
    (d) If the total energy was E = +0.2, describe the motion of the system.
    (e) Find the period for small oscillations around equilibrium. Can the energy in part
    (c) be considered “small” in this context?

2. Relevant equations

F(x)=-dU/dx (not sure though)
    E=K+U

3. The attempt at a solution

a)
    dU/dx = -6/x^7 +12/x^13

b) Set dU/dx to zero and I get:
    6x^6-12=0
    x=6√2 (I said the negative part is ignored since we are only interested in positive x)
    Stability: second derivative of U evaluated at equilibrium point.
    d2U/dx2=-42/x^8+156/x^14 = 12.699, so stable

c)
    E=K+U=1/2mv^2-1/x^6+1/x^12
    v^2=(2x^6-2-0.4x^12)/x^12
    turning points when v=0,
    5x^6-x^12-5=0

Now I'm stuck...

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2012 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Classical Mechanics: Finding force, equilibrium points, turning points....

You completely ignored the given energy, E=-0.2.

Edit: The formula is correct, I was wrong.

ehild

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  4. Jan 21, 2012 #3

Sorry, I skipped a few steps, but I simplified the expression for v with E=-0.2 and I still get the same answer. I believe the answer is complex, I do not know how to deal with this.

5. Jan 22, 2012 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I checked it again, and I see now that your equation 5x^6-x^12-5=0 is correct. Using the quadratic formula, x^6=(5±√ 5)/2. The solutions are real. Take the sixth (real) root of each to get the turning points.

ehild

6. Jan 22, 2012 #5

ok thanks! Can you show me how you simplified the expression?

7. Jan 22, 2012 #6

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Denote y=x^6. Your equation transforms to the quadratic -y^2-5y-5=0. Solve with the quadratic formula.

ehild

8. Jan 23, 2012 #7

Easy enough, thanks for all the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook