Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classical music deters anti-social behavior at transit centers?

1. Jul 31, 2007 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.komotv.com/news/local/8810622.html

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2007 #2
    Likewise, playing hip-hop on your porch will shoo off pesky elderlies with their rocking chairs.

4. Aug 1, 2007 #3

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I wouldn't recommend "Ride of the Valkyries" or anything else by Wagner to be played, though..

5. Aug 3, 2007 #4
    Thats crazy, simple ideas to complicated problems.

6. Aug 4, 2007 #5
    Reminds me of the "calming" pink paint in correctional institutions.

7. Aug 4, 2007 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

When I was in college, I woke up from a nap (after an all-nighter) distinctly hearing "And who, dressed as Clark Kent...". It turned out the guy in the room next to me was playing the "Ride of the Valkyries"!

(And if you understand that, you are as God-awful old as I am!)

8. Aug 4, 2007 #7

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Actually, colours and sounds DO in subtle ways influence emotions and can gently guide them in certain directions.

Artists throughout the history have known that.

9. Aug 4, 2007 #8

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I'm not, nor am I American. My mind has been busy to see what Superman has to do with the Ride of the Valkyries, but I have been unable to solve the puzzle you posed..:cry::cry:

Could you please enlighten me; I'm intrigued..

10. Aug 7, 2007 #9

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

A long time ago I saw a cartoon in a hi-fi magazine showing a man in a natty business suit walking along with a boombox perched on his shoulder. Two ghetto dudes are watching him, and one of them says something like, "Oh no, here comes that dude with the Olivier Messiaen again!"

(I have to admit that Messiaen would probably shoo off most of the pesky elderlies as well as the hip-hop types...)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?