Classical Oscillator Resonance: Understanding & Amplification

In summary, resonance happens when the system is able to absorb maximum energy. This is done by striking the pendulum at the right moment. If you strike too early or too late, the oscillation will be disturbed.
samreen
for a classical oscillator. i kno when resonance happens. what i don't know is WHAT happens in resonance. and WHY it happens. I am very sketchy bt the details...is resonance happening when the system is oriented or configured to b able to absorb max energy? why the amplification? could u suggest reading material?

Physics news on Phys.org

Make sure you know how to solve second-order linear ODE with constant coefficients
If not,don't bother to think why

ive dun the math...for free, damped and forced. trouble is, it feels like math.not physics. which is what I've asked.

not physics. which is what I've asked.

I agree wholeheartedly. a Physicist should be able to explain most things without resort to complicated maths.

Try this: Either as a thought experiment or a real one.

Hang a very heavy weight to act as a pendulum.
Take your handkerchief and tie a knot in the end.
Attack the pendulum with your knotted kerchief by hitting the weight repeatedly with the knot, always in the same direction.

You will find that if you strike at random intervals, the pendulum will scarcely move.
If however you always strike at the same point in the motion of the pendulum the blows will add up and the oscillatory motion will increase.
Eventually you will be able to get a good steady swing going.

This is resonance (at very low frequency so you can see what is happening).
The weight is accepting small packets of energy at its resonant frequency. All these packets are reinforcing one and other so energy transfer is high.
You can also upset the oscillation by striking at the wrong moment - when the pendulum is going towards the knot. Do this enough times and you will slow or stop the oscillation.
If you want to demonstrate damping in this experiment use a piece of sponge rubber on a string. The sponge will introduce damping.

thanx guys...makes a load of sense now

1. What is a classical oscillator?

A classical oscillator is a physical system that has a characteristic frequency at which it naturally oscillates. It can be a mechanical system, such as a pendulum, or an electrical system, such as a circuit with a capacitor and inductor.

2. How does resonance occur in a classical oscillator?

Resonance in a classical oscillator occurs when the driving frequency of the system matches its natural frequency. This causes the amplitude of the oscillations to increase significantly, leading to a phenomenon known as resonance amplification.

3. What is resonance amplification in a classical oscillator?

Resonance amplification is the phenomenon in which the amplitude of oscillations in a classical oscillator increases significantly when the driving frequency matches the natural frequency of the system. This amplification can be used for various purposes, such as in musical instruments or electronic circuits.

4. How is resonance used in understanding classical oscillators?

Resonance is a crucial concept in understanding classical oscillators as it helps us predict the behavior of a system when it is driven at different frequencies. By understanding resonance, we can design and manipulate classical oscillators for various applications.

5. What are some real-world examples of classical oscillators and their resonance?

Some real-world examples of classical oscillators and their resonance include musical instruments, such as a guitar string, where the natural frequency of the string determines the pitch of the sound produced. Another example is radio broadcasting, where the antenna acts as a classical oscillator, and resonance is used to amplify the signal for transmission.