Acoustic resonance - Absorption vs Transmissibility

In summary: The dissipation factor (DF) describes how much power is dissipated in a system as heat, over time. DF is a measure of how efficiently a system uses energy. In a heat engine, DF is a measure of the efficiency of transfer of heat between the working fluid and the environment. In electronic devices, DF is a measure of how efficiently power is dissipated in the device.The dissipation factor (DF) describes how much power is dissipated in a system as heat, over time. DF is a measure of how efficiently a system uses energy.In electronic devices, DF is a measure of how efficiently power is dissipated in the device. DF is a measure of how efficiently heat is transferred between the
PSuran
Hi everyone.

Firstly, I'm not a physicist, so relatively "intuitive" explanations would be greatly appreciated :)

I'm confused by the following:

Let's say we have a partition / wall, which resonates at a specific natural frequency. If the resonance is relatively high Q (low damping), then Transmissibility is much larger than "1" (LINK) . I read this as sound "amplification". But even if the partition resonance is Low Q, Transmissibility never goes below 1 (https://www.digikey.com/-/media/Images/Blogs/2018/December/Minimize%20Mechanical%20Vibrations%20with%20Highly%20Damped%20Elastomers/minimize-mechanical-vibrations-with-highly-damped-elastomers-img2.jpg?ts=82dc11df-6b94-444b-a9ea-eb8d140d0a80&la=en-US). I interpret this like so - At resonant frequency, the level (sound) will always be amplified (compared to no partition). NOTE: Ignore flanking sound, and other possible sound transmission paths. The above is a theoretical, free field vs. half space example.

But on the other hand, when building sound absorption devices, we use the same device - a resonating panel, optimally low Q (no ringing).

So my confusion is this - How can the same resonating system both amplify and absorb sound?

I'm certain I'm getting something wrong. I would really appreciate an answer, this is really bugging me :)

Physics news on Phys.org
PSuran said:
How can the same resonating system both amplify and absorb sound?
I find this difficult too and it is confusing. The idea that a partition with some loss can transmit more sound than if the partition were not there can't be right as there is a loss mechanism in the partition. Link 2 probably needs some more explanation. I am not sure of the context of your post and there may be a bit of the crossed wires effect.
To be accurate, in normal Engineering use, the word "amplify" means an increase in the Power of a signal. This always requires some external source of extra power from a power supply.
When you have a resonance, it is quite possible for a sound to seem Louder but that will involve energy being better 'matched' to your hearing. The gain in amplitude of vibrations is due to energy building up in a resonating structure / circuit.
We're coming in half way along the resonance story, which makes it difficult to give a simple answer but, in your example, a High Q resonator attached to a wall can match the sound power, arriving at the other side so that More Power Gets Through. The sound level in the source room may even drop a bit because the party wall is reflecting less back into the room.
Also, the idea of a 'room' as source is a bit vague. Is there a constant level of sound in the source room? That would imply that the source loudspeaker would need different power input for different levels of transmissibility, if the detected level is to be the same. On the face of it, the links imply that there's no point in trying to sound-proof a room but that can't be right. It's got to be down to the details of definitions involved.

Likes sophiecentaur

What is acoustic resonance?

Acoustic resonance is a phenomenon in which sound waves are amplified due to the natural frequency of a space or object. This occurs when the frequency of an external sound source matches the natural frequency of the space or object, causing it to vibrate and produce a louder sound.

What is absorption in relation to acoustic resonance?

Absorption refers to the ability of a material to absorb sound waves. In the context of acoustic resonance, absorption can help reduce the amplification of sound waves by absorbing some of the energy and preventing it from bouncing back and forth within a space or object.

What is transmissibility in relation to acoustic resonance?

Transmissibility refers to the ability of a material or structure to transmit sound waves. In the context of acoustic resonance, transmissibility can affect the amplification of sound waves by allowing them to pass through a material or structure and continue to resonate.

How does absorption affect acoustic resonance?

Absorption can decrease the amplification of sound waves in acoustic resonance by reducing the amount of energy that is reflected back and forth within a space or object. This can help to create a more balanced and less intense sound.

How does transmissibility affect acoustic resonance?

Transmissibility can either increase or decrease the amplification of sound waves in acoustic resonance, depending on the material or structure. Some materials or structures may enhance the resonance by allowing sound waves to pass through and continue to vibrate, while others may dampen the resonance by absorbing or reflecting the sound waves.