1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classical scattering off an ellipsoid

1. Dec 30, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Particles of scattered off the surface of an ellipsoid given by x^+y^2+z^2/f^2 = R^2, where f and R are constants. Find the differential cross-section.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Let s be the impact parameter. I can find s as a function of the scattering angle, theta, but I am not sure where to go from there. I get:
    [tex]s(\theta) = \frac{R}{\sqrt{f^2 tan^2(\theta/2)+1}} [/tex]
    When I did this for a sphere instead of an ellipse, that expression for s was much simpler and could be easily differentiated. Then I just used the formula:
    [tex] \frac{d\sigma}{d\theta}=\frac{ s(\theta)}{\sin \theta} \left|{\frac{ds(\theta)}{d\theta}\right| [/tex]

But, I have no idea how to differentiate this w.r.t theta. Is there another way to get [tex]\frac{d \sigma}{d \Omega}[/tex].

Last edited: Dec 31, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 31, 2007 #2

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

why cant you take the derivatite of [itex] s(\theta ) [/itex]? It is just the chain rule.

4. Dec 31, 2007 #3
    How stupid of me!

[tex] \left| \frac{ds}{d\theta} \right| = \frac{R f^2\tan(\theta/2)\sec^2 (\theta/2)}{2 (f^2 \tan^2(\theta/2)+1)^{3/2}} [/tex]

5. Dec 31, 2007 #4
    For the differential scattering cross-section, I get:

[tex] \frac{d\sigma}{d\Omega} = f^2 R^2/4 \frac{1}{(f^2+(1-f^2)\cos(\theta/2))^2} [/tex]

My book says that I am missing a factor of 4 and that I need to add one to the denominator before squaring. Who is right: me or my book?

6. Dec 31, 2007 #5

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How did you integrate??? Try integrating from 0 to pi/2 and multiplying by 4.

7. Dec 31, 2007 #6
    I didn't integrate. This is the differential cross-section.

What would I integrate from 0 to pi/2? can you elaborate?

EDIT: I just used the formula

[tex] \frac{d\sigma}{d\theta}=\frac{ s(\theta)}{\sin \theta} \left|{\frac{ds(\theta)}{d\theta}\right| [/tex]

8. Dec 31, 2007 #7

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Brain fart.........

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?