1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Clebsch-Gordan coefficients calculation

1. Aug 30, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    So i have to calculate the Clebsch-gordan coefficients for the state j1=3/2 and j2=1/2

2. Relevant equations
    Recursiom formula, lowering and uppering operator

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have tried to calculate the first set of the coefficients stating that:
    L- l2,2> = L- l3/2,1/2>l1/2,1/2>

For the left side I got that it is equal to 2hl2,1>. Is that correct? I can't get the right coefficients on the right side. In general, I have trouble understanding which combinations of j and m to use tobget what I have to do. Is there some procedure to get all of them in order? Right now I am trying to guess what to use and see if I get the right combination.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2016 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes.

You should start from the states in the two representations which are proportional to each other. One of such states are ##|3/2,3/2\rangle |1/2,1/2\rangle## and ##|2,2\rangle##. Therefore, ##|2,2\rangle = c|3/2,3/2\rangle |1/2,1/2\rangle##. The constant of proportionality ##c## is in general a unimodular complex number, but conventionally it is chosen to be ##1##. Thus ##|2,2\rangle = |3/2,3/2\rangle |1/2,1/2\rangle##. Then apply the lowering operator on both sides like you have done and in the RHS, use ##L_- = L_{1-}+L_{2-}##.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  4. Aug 30, 2016 #3

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Yes, assuming that h means ##\hbar##.

Given that you are adding together ##j_1## and ##j_2##, then the allowed values of ##J## are
    $$
    J = j_1 + j_2, j_1+j_2 - 1, \ldots, \left| j_1 - j_2 \right|
    $$
    Second, the triangle rule has to be followed: ##M = m_1 + m_2##. So in the case you have, the result will have to be 0 since ##M = 2## while ##m_1+m_2 = 1##.

5. Aug 30, 2016 #4
    Thank you! I got the first ones:
    I2,1> =√3/2 I1/2,1/2> + 1/2 I3/2,-1/2>

Is that ok? I tried applying lowering again on this expression but didn't get the solution. How do I know where to use the operator next?

6. Aug 30, 2016 #5

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If that square root applies only on the 3 in the numerator, then it's fine.
    Why won't it work? To get |2,0> you should indeed apply the lowering operator once more on both sides. Maybe you just made a mistake during calculation.

7. Aug 30, 2016 #6

DrClaude

That's not correct, check the values of ##j_!## and ##j_2##.

8. Aug 30, 2016 #7

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Actually he is using ##|m_1,m_2\rangle## notation on the RHS while the values of ##j_1## and ##j_2## are only implied.

9. Aug 30, 2016 #8

DrClaude

Right o:) Nevermind....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted