1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Clifford algebra in higher dimensions

1. Jul 26, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider gamma matrices ##\gamma^0, \gamma^1, \gamma^2, \gamma^3## in 4-dimension. These gamma matrices satisfy the anti-commutation relation
    $$
    \{ \gamma^\mu , \gamma^\nu \}=2\eta^{\mu \nu}.~~~(\eta^{\mu\nu}=diag(+1,-1,-1,-1))
    $$
    Define ##\Gamma^{0\pm}, \Gamma^{1\pm}## as follows:
    \begin{align}
    \Gamma^{0\pm}:=\dfrac12 (\gamma^0 \pm \gamma^1),\\
    \Gamma^{1\pm}:=\dfrac12 (i\gamma^2 \pm \gamma^3).
    \end{align}

They satisfy following anti-commutation relations.
    $$
    \{ \Gamma^{a+}, \Gamma^{b-} \}=\delta^{ab},
    \{ \Gamma^{a+}, \Gamma^{b+} \} = \{ \Gamma^{a-}, \Gamma^{b-} \}=0.
    ~~(a,b=0,1)
    $$

Now, we can construct other Clifford algebra in higher dimensions.

Question: Construct Clifford algebra for 1+10 dimension and 2+10 dimension as we did in above.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    The reason this problem is difficult for me is that 1+10 dimension is 11-dimension space-time and they are odd number dimension. If it were even number dimension, then it is easy to construct Clifford algebra; we only have to add new terms such like
    $$
    \Gamma^{2\pm}=\dfrac12 (i\gamma^3 \pm \gamma^4).
    $$
    But in 11-dimension, we can't do this. I tried to think in 3-dimension, but I couldn't figure out how to construct Clifford algebra.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2017 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

I don't really understand the problem. Firstly, the pairing which leads to the ##\Gamma^a## is simply a basis transformation of the ##\gamma^a##, so we don't have do bother them. Now ##\eta## is all that counts for the definition, since this is the bilinear form. So why isn't ##\eta = \operatorname{diag}(+1,-1,\ldots ,-1)## the solution with as many ##-1## as desired?

The grading can be done for all Clifford algebras. All you need is an involution. The difference between the given ##(1,3)## and the requested ##(2,10)## example is bigger than between ##(1,3)## and ##(1,10)##.

4. Jul 26, 2017 #3

I think I should have noted the motivation of this problem. We want to think about a generalization of 4D Clifford algebra. For example, in ##1+3## dimension, we can set ##\Gamma##s as
    \begin{align}
    \Gamma^{0\pm}:=\dfrac12 (\gamma^0 \pm \gamma^1),\\
    \Gamma^{1\pm}:=\dfrac12 (i\gamma^2 \pm \gamma^3).
    \end{align}

The anti-commutation relations are
    $$
    \{ \Gamma^{a+}, \Gamma^{b-} \}=\delta^{ab},
    \{ \Gamma^{a+}, \Gamma^{b+} \} = \{ \Gamma^{a-}, \Gamma^{b-} \}=0.
    ~~(a,b=0,1)
    $$

These ##\Gamma^{0+}## and ##\Gamma^{1+}## are kind of raising operators, and ##\Gamma^{0-}## and ##\Gamma^{1-}## are lowering operators. Since the anti-commutation relations are similar to that of spinor fields', we could define a vacuum state ##\Omega## and set
    $$
    \Gamma^{a-}\Omega = 0.
    $$

Then, states like ##\Gamma^{a+}\Omega## can be thought as a one-particle state.

If we construct Clifford algebra by using these ##\Gamma##s, we can think of Clifford algebra in various dimensions such like 1+10 or 2+10.
    This is used in string theory.

5. Jul 26, 2017 #4

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

I know. But it doesn't change my answer. You can extend ##v \longmapsto -v## to an involution ##\varphi## of ##\mathcal{Cl}(V,\eta)## and the grading is then ##\mathcal{Cl}^{(i)}(V,\eta)= \operatorname{im}(\operatorname{id} \pm \varphi)##. With that you can think about an appropriate basis.

6. Jul 29, 2017 #5
    Thanks.
    I will do my best.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted