1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Closed form for geometricish series (index squared in the exponent)?

1. Dec 10, 2013 #1
    Closed form for "geometricish" series (index squared in the exponent)?

Hi all,

Is there a nice closed form for the following series?

[itex]\sum_{k=0}^n x^{k^2}[/itex]

Even a decently tight upper bound and lower bound would be nice (obviously it is bounded by the corresponding geometric series [itex]\sum x^k[/itex], but is there anything better?).

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2013 #2
    Hi !
    As far as I know, there is no referenced closed form for the finite sum x^k² , k=0 to n.
    The closed form for the infinite sum x^k² k=0 to infinity, with -1<x<1, is =(theta(0 , x)+1)/2 , involving the Jacobi theta function.

4. Dec 29, 2013 #3
    Thanks for the reply! It turned out that the plain old geometric upper bound was sufficient for what I was doing before, but now I need a lower bound for the following sum for [itex]x \in (0,1)[/itex].

[tex]
    \sum_{k=0}^n [x^k + x^{k(k+1)/2} - 1]
    [/tex]

Clearly as n goes to infinity, this sum goes to negative infinity, but first it will increase with n and then decrease. I want a lower bound that captures that beginning increasing part. I don't really understand much about the Jacobi theta function so I'm not sure if it would be useful here too...

Essentially what I need is a closed form lower bound so that I can solve an inequality for n.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook