1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is there a closed form of this expression?

1. Dec 17, 2013 #1
    Hi,
    (not homework/academic)
    Is a closed form of the following expression possible? Either way, some pointers in the right direction would be really helpful.

[tex]
    H(s)=\sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty \frac{k^n}{k^n+a/s}
    [/tex]

Thanks,
    D

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2013 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are a, s and k numbers? If so then this sum is divergent - as n goes to +/- infinity, the summand converges to 1 depending on whether k is larger than or smaller than 1

4. Dec 17, 2013 #3
    Sorry, the process of posting this, made me think of something which might be helpful:
    [tex]
    H(s)=\sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty \frac{1}{1+a/(s.k^n)}
    [/tex]
    so...
    [tex]
    H(s)=\sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty \frac{1}{1+a.k^{-n}/s}
    [/tex]
    I might be able to google this one as it looks a bit more like a standard form of something.

5. Dec 17, 2013 #4
    a is a constant, yes and s is a variable (actually frequency in my application).

I already know from experimentation in Mathcad that an expression using this basic block produces a reasonable result (I suppose I should say bounded). The original expression is 2nd order and the associated response in s tends to 0 as s->0 and as s->INF. I managed to break down the original into a partial fraction sum so could treat it as 2 independent infinite sums of 1st order functions like the one shown. I didn't consider if/whether the 1st order expressions would diverge or not.

Perhaps I should post my original problem.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  6. Dec 17, 2013 #5
    Here is my original problem:
    [tex]
    FB(s)=\sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty \frac{a(k^ns)}{(k^ns)^2+a(k^ns)+1}
    [/tex]
    This is what I really want to obtain the closed form solution for.

7. Dec 18, 2013 #6
    Entirely inadequate. Please restate the question precisely defining what a, k, and s are and not just "numbers" either.

8. Dec 18, 2013 #7
    k is a real scalar > 1
    a is a real scalar > 0
    s is a imaginary scalar > 0

My first post asks if there is a closed form expression of the infinite sum given. If the answer is yes, then some guidance in the right direction to help to obtain it would be very helpful.

If a solution is indeed available then I think it follows that the expression in my last post (#6) can be solved.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook