Closed Thread Symbol: Improve Visibility for Quicker Recognition

• Thread starter Danger
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of threads being closed and the difficulty in noticing the "Closed" sign. The idea of making the sign more prominent is suggested, but there are concerns about it being too obnoxious. It is also mentioned that the "Auto Sign In" button functions the same as the "Remember Me" button. The possibility of using the word "Closed" instead of just the letter "C" is suggested. The discussion also touches on a bug where the closed symbol only appears after opening the thread and the inconsistency of symbols in the general list of new posts.
Danger
Gold Member
It's my own fault for being sloppy, (and my vision isn't superb)—I keep reading through threads with the intent of posting, then getting to the end and realizing that they're closed. I'm just wondering if the "Closed" sign could be made a little more prominent, such as by changing the colour.

Physics news on Phys.org
While I'm at it, what is that "Auto Sign In" button on the opening screen? Since it appears to do nothing, I have speculated that it's the same as the old "Remember Me" button. Is that correct?

Danger said:
It's my own fault for being sloppy, (and my vision isn't superb)—I keep reading through threads with the intent of posting, then getting to the end and realizing that they're closed. I'm just wondering if the "Closed" sign could be made a little more prominent, such as by changing the colour.

Fair enough, but we don't want the forum display page to be obnoxious with color. Just because a thread is closed, doesn't make it unworthy to read.

Danger said:
While I'm at it, what is that "Auto Sign In" button on the opening screen? Since it appears to do nothing, I have speculated that it's the same as the old "Remember Me" button. Is that correct?

Yes it is the remember me function.

Okay, thanks Greg.

Uhm I often can't tell when a thread is closed either. :redface:

We used to have icons at the beginning of each thread that showed the thread status. Now they're gone.

Perhaps make the closed icon black? Grey on lighter grey is a bit hard to see sometimes (depending on the contrast of my monitor).

I thought the closed sign had been removed! I'll take a closer look.

I just clicked on this thread -

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=692167

Before I clicked on it, it *clearly* did not have a closed symbol on it.

I opened it and saw it had been closed - and it had been closed hours before I clicked on it. I went back to General Discussion, and then I saw the closed symbol on the thread. I'm 100% certain it wasn't there before I opened it.

So does the thread have to be opened in order to see the closed thread?

lisab said:
I just clicked on this thread -

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=692167

Before I clicked on it, it *clearly* did not have a closed symbol on it.

I opened it and saw it had been closed - and it had been closed hours before I clicked on it. I went back to General Discussion, and then I saw the closed symbol on the thread. I'm 100% certain it wasn't there before I opened it.

So does the thread have to be opened in order to see the closed thread?
I can confirm this bug.

attachment.php?attachmentid=58810&stc=1&d=1368865947.png

After I opened the thread, it got the "closed" symbol.
It is interesting that it did not have the "new post" symbol.

Attachments

• locked.png
    locked.png
    18 KB · Views: 513
From some discussions previously in the Mentor forums, the display of the closed icon is browser-specific (it is invisible white on white for me with IE), and in the top view, it does not show at all for search results pages...

Would you consider putting the whole word "Closed" or "Locked" rather than just the letter C? I think that would minimize confusion, and wouldn't be any more obtrusive than the word "Sticky" for a sticky thread.

Greg, any chances general list of the new posts (Get Posts/New Posts from the forum menu) will have same set of symbols lists in subforums have? There is no C for closed thread, and the symbol for threads I posted in is sometimes missing when there are several other symbols present.

Related to Closed Thread Symbol: Improve Visibility for Quicker Recognition

1. What is the purpose of the closed thread symbol?

The closed thread symbol is used to indicate that a discussion or conversation on a forum or social media platform has been closed or ended. It helps to improve the visibility of closed threads and allows users to quickly recognize them.

2. Why is it important to have a closed thread symbol?

The closed thread symbol is important because it helps to differentiate between active and closed discussions. This can prevent confusion and save users time from trying to participate in a closed thread.

3. Where can the closed thread symbol be found?

The closed thread symbol can typically be found next to the title of the thread or at the end of the thread. It may also be located in a specific section or forum designated for closed discussions.

4. Can the closed thread symbol be customized?

Yes, the closed thread symbol can be customized depending on the platform or website. Some may use a simple "closed" label while others may use a specific icon or image to represent a closed thread.

5. Are there any alternatives to using a closed thread symbol?

Yes, there are alternatives to using a closed thread symbol such as using a different font color or a strikethrough of the thread title. However, the closed thread symbol is the most commonly used and recognized method for indicating a closed thread.