Does the present moment truly exist?

• Thread starter imageek
  • Start date
In summary, the arrow of time is an idea that suggests the present is not actually what's happening right now, but something that has already happened and will happen in the future.
imageek
I was watching a video on the arrow of time, and it got me quizzing ... does the present i.e. now actually exist?

The past can be said to be something that happened at a certain time ... i.e. a second ago, a minute ago etc. The future can be said to be something that may/will/could happen and a time can be linked to that too ... "Grandma said she will ring in 30 minutes". But what about the present?

If the present is what's happening at this moment in time, how do you define, or measure, the moment? Is it what's happening this second? If it can be a second why can't it be a millisecond, or a nanosecond? Or an amount of time that is to quick for us to even realize? Which would then mean by the time we've thought about what's happening in the present it becomes the past and then there is no present.

Sorry if my terminology is incorrect, I'm not a physicist, although I do have a deep interest in physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why would it be necessary to define a time interval for the present? The present occurs at a specicific time ("now"). It does not have a time interval.

we can't observe anything else in our present until it's in the past :wink:

Why would it be necessary to define a time interval for the present? The present occurs at a specicific time ("now"). It does not have a time interval.

The present is a period of time that occurs now, and as it's time - which can be measured - shouldn't it be possible to define and measure now?

Does now have no interval or is it's interval variable?

I only ask out of pure curiosity and I thought this is the best place to ask such questions. Even the definition of time includes the present, but the present differs from the past and the future which can both me measured the same.

It's as if it's a state that we're aware of, but it's only until it's passed that we're aware of it which by then it's the past.

I think I can see the point you are making Imageek.

It seem to be a popular conception of time that the moment of 'now' is this tiny fraction of a second that happens so briefly that we can never quite catch it. There is the past which has gone and the future forever arriving, so where is now?

The answer I have been playing with is this: 'time' is an illusion. By the same reasoning which creates our linear conception of time, the past is something which has 'gone' and so it is in fact no longer real. And, by the same token, the future which has not arrived yet is also not real. So if, neither the past or the future are real, what are we left with? We are left with the present. The present, everything that is
here - now - is real. To
my mind it follows that despite my culturally inherited belief in the idea
of time, that it does not actually exist. The only thing, which is everything, exists now, and that is all there ever will be. It does
not mean that change does not happen. Change certainly does happen. But for the moment I feel inclined to suspend the belief that the existence of change is enough to prove that time is something that is real - well at least in the typically Newtonian sense of a linear flow, which despite a hundred years of relativity, a person can still be very tied to. My understanding (albeit very limited) of relativity is that it all exists together: past, present and future. Which still seems to me to say that all there is, is what is present.

Time seems to me to be hard to get one's head around. I mean in the universe there is matter and there is energy. So what is time? If time is not substance and it is not energy, then does it really - like really exist?

what a nonsensical question.

The question has been satisfactorily answered.

1. Does the present/now actually exist?

This question has been debated by philosophers and scientists for centuries. Some argue that the present is an illusion because it is constantly shifting and cannot be pinpointed. Others believe that the present is the only thing that truly exists. From a scientific standpoint, the present can be defined as the current moment in time, and it does exist in the sense that we experience it. However, it is constantly moving and changing, making it difficult to define as a concrete entity.

2. How do we measure the present/now?

The present is measured in units of time, such as seconds, minutes, or milliseconds. However, the exact measurement of the present is subjective and can vary from person to person. Our perception of the present is influenced by our senses, thoughts, and emotions, making it difficult to measure objectively. Some scientists believe that the present is a continuous flow, rather than a specific moment in time, making it impossible to measure precisely.

3. Is the present/now the same for everyone?

No, the present can be different for everyone because our perception of time is subjective. Our individual experiences, thoughts, and emotions can alter our perception of the present. For example, time may seem to move faster when we are having fun, and slower when we are bored. Additionally, cultural and societal influences can also impact our perception of the present.

4. Can we change the present/now?

From a scientific standpoint, the present is constantly changing and cannot be stopped or altered. However, our actions and decisions in the present can have an impact on the future. By making choices and taking action in the present, we can shape our future experiences. It is important to note that the present is always shifting, and the future is not predetermined, so our ability to change it is limited.

5. How does the concept of the present/now relate to time travel?

The concept of the present/now is closely tied to the concept of time travel. Some scientists believe that time travel could be theoretically possible by manipulating the present. However, the idea of traveling to a specific point in the past or future is still a topic of debate and has not been proven to be possible. Additionally, the concept of the present/now is based on our current understanding of time, which could potentially change with new scientific discoveries.