Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Closest mass to the line of sight

1. Mar 3, 2015 #1
    Suppose we have a cosmological model where condensed objects of characteristic mass ##m## occupies some fraction ##\Omega## of the critical density ##\rho_c##. Take a QSRS to be at cosmological distance ##L \sim 1/H_0## (##c=1##). Its easy to the that the average distance between the condensed masses will now be given by ##\Omega \rho_c /m##.

QUESTION: why will the expectation value ##\bar l## for the distance of the closest mass to the line of sight (between us at the QSRS) be
    $$ l \sim (m H_0/\Omega \rho_c)^{1/2}?$$

I've read this claim in "Method for detecting a cosmological density of condensed objects" (1973) by Press and Gunn, and would very much like to see an argument on why this is true.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I get this as geometric result. Let ##\phi## be the angle between the line of sight and directions in the sky. What is the expected number of objects N in a cone from ##\phi=0## to ##\phi=\phi_0##? It is given by the volume and the density of objects: ##N \propto L \frac{\Omega\rho_c}{m} \phi^2##. Set N to 1, solve for ##\phi## (and relate it to l somehow), ignore constant prefactors and you get the posted relationship.

4. Mar 4, 2015 #3
    Thanks for the tip! Instead of using a cone, I used a cylinder with radius ##l## and denoted ##\bar l## by the cylinder for which there on average would be just 1 object within its volume coaxial with the line of sight!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook