Spectral density of radiative electric field

In summary: Ah yes I see what you mean. Making this substitution just introduces a constant phase factor ##e^{iw\frac{r}{c}}##, which disappears when calculating the spectral density. I guess where I messed up was not realizing that the derivative of ##t_r## in this case is trivial since ##r## is time independent.
Decimal
Homework Statement
Given the following radiative field, $$\vec{E}_{rad}(\vec{r},t) = K \frac{\sin{\theta}}{r} e^{-\frac{k}{m} t_r},$$ with ##t_r = t-\frac{r}{c}## the retarded time far away from the radiating particle, and ##K,k,m## constants. The exercise is to show that the spectral angular density can be written as follows, $$\frac{\partial^2W}{\partial\Omega\partial\omega} = L \sin^2\theta f(\omega), \qquad f(\omega) = \frac{1}{\omega^2 + (\frac{k}{m})^2}.$$ I have to then give the correct expression for the constant ##L##.
Relevant Equations
$$\frac{\partial^2W}{\partial\Omega\partial\omega} = 2|\vec{A}(\omega)|^2, \qquad \vec{A}(t) = r\sqrt{\epsilon_0c} \vec{E_{rad}}.$$ Here ##\vec{A}(\omega)## is the fourier transform of ##\vec{A}(t)##. I use the notation also adopted in Jackson section 14.5.
So I have to find an expression for ##\vec{A}(\omega)##, $$\vec{A}(\omega) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \vec{A}(t)e^{i\omega t} dt.$$ This point is where my confusion comes up. In the answer sheet they integrate over the retarded time ##t_r##, so the integral is, $$\vec{A}(\omega) \sim \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{i\omega t_r} e^{-\frac{k}{m}t_r} dt_r.$$ However I feel like I could have just as well integrated over the observers time ##t## as follows, $$\vec{A}(\omega) \sim \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{i\omega t} e^{-\frac{k}{m}(t-\frac{r}{c})} dt.$$ To my eye these two expressions are not equivalent. I think the distinction is that the second expression gives the spectral density as observed by the observer at distance ##r##, and the first expression gives the spectral density as actually emitted by the particle. In the exercise however they do not differentiate between the two and just ask for the spectral density.

So here is my confusion. If the first expression is generally correct and the second one is not, why? Or is my idea correct and should the exercise have been more specific? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Decimal said:
In the answer sheet they integrate over the retarded time ##t_r##, so the integral is, $$\vec{A}(\omega) \sim \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{i\omega t_r} e^{-\frac{k}{m}t_r} dt_r.$$ However I feel like I could have just as well integrated over the observers time ##t## as follows, $$\vec{A}(\omega) \sim \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{i\omega t} e^{-\frac{k}{m}(t-\frac{r}{c})} dt.$$

Suppose you make the substitution ##t_r = t-\frac{r}{c}## in the second integral above. How does this compare with the first integral? Note that the spectral density depends only on ##|A(\omega)|##.

Likes Decimal
TSny said:
Suppose you make the substitution ##t_r = t-\frac{r}{c}## in the second integral above. How does this compare with the first integral? Note that the spectral density depends only on ##|A(\omega)|##.

Ah yes I see what you mean. Making this substitution just introduces a constant phase factor ##e^{iw\frac{r}{c}}##, which disappears when calculating the spectral density. I guess where I messed up was not realizing that the derivative of ##t_r## in this case is trivial since ##r## is time independent. Thank you!

Last edited:

1. What is the spectral density of radiative electric field?

The spectral density of radiative electric field refers to the amount of electromagnetic energy present at different frequencies in the electric field. It is a measure of the distribution of energy per unit frequency in the field.

2. How is the spectral density of radiative electric field measured?

The spectral density of radiative electric field is typically measured using spectrometers or other instruments that can detect and measure the intensity of electromagnetic radiation at different frequencies. The resulting data can then be used to calculate the spectral density.

3. What factors affect the spectral density of radiative electric field?

The spectral density of radiative electric field can be affected by various factors such as the temperature and composition of the emitting source, the distance from the source, and the medium through which the radiation is propagating. It can also be affected by the presence of other electromagnetic fields.

4. How is the spectral density of radiative electric field used in scientific research?

The spectral density of radiative electric field is an important parameter in various areas of scientific research, including astronomy, atmospheric science, and materials science. It can provide insights into the properties of sources of electromagnetic radiation and their interactions with the environment.

5. Can the spectral density of radiative electric field be manipulated?

Yes, the spectral density of radiative electric field can be manipulated using various techniques such as filtering, amplification, and modulation. This can be done for experimental purposes or in practical applications such as communication and sensing systems.