Cl's : sum into a chi^2 when we have a sum of chi^2

In summary, the conversation discussed the use of distribution equality in the context of a sum of random variables. It was noted that the expression (2l+1)χ2(Cl) is not valid, and a more appropriate expression would be Yl = Σmalm2 ~ Γ((2l+1)/2, 2Cl). However, it was also noted that writing sums or multiples of pdfs is not a valid notation. The coga library in R was mentioned, which computes the distribution of the sum of random variables following a Gamma distribution with different shape and rate parameters. The correct expression for distribution equality is therefore: ΣYl ~ Γ((2l+1)/2, 2Cl) ~ Mos
fab13
TL;DR Summary
I would like to know if we the expression of a double sum on the squared of a_lm (harmonical spherics from Legendre transformation) allows to include the sum of chi^2 factors in a chi^2 of sum (in the sense of "following distribution").
1) If I take as definition of ##a_{lm}## following a normal distribution with mean equal to zero and ##C_\ell=\langle a_{lm}^2 \rangle=\text{Var}(a_{lm})##, and if I have a sum of ##\chi^2##, can I write the 2 lines below (We use ##\stackrel{d}{=}## to denote equality in distribution).

Important remark : ##C_{\ell}## depends on ##\ell## : ##C_{\ell} = C_{\ell}(\ell)##

\begin{aligned}
\sum_{\ell=1}^{N} \sum_{m=-\ell}^{\ell} a_{\ell m}^{2} & \stackrel{d}{=} \sum_{\ell=1}^{N}(2 \ell+1) \chi^{2}\left(C_{\ell}\right) \\
& \stackrel{d}{=} \chi^{2}\left(\sum_{\ell=1}^{N}(2 \ell+1) C_{\ell}\right)
\end{aligned}

that is to say, include the sum on ##N## into ##\chi^2## ?

Maybe I could write instead (with shape/scale convention for Gamma distribution):

##
\begin{aligned}
\sum_{\ell=1}^{N} \sum_{m=-\ell}^{\ell} a_{\ell m}^{2} & \stackrel{d}{=} \sum_{\ell=1}^{N} \sum_{m=-\ell}^{\ell} \Gamma\left(1 / 2,2 C_{\ell}\right) \\
& \stackrel{d}{=} \sum_{\ell=1}^{N} \Gamma\left((2 \ell+1) / 2,2 C_{\ell}\right)
\end{aligned}
##if not, is there a way to simplify the first line, i.e when adding the ##N## terms ##\chi^{2}## ?

2) I don't how to formulate correctly (on a level of vocabulary and notations) the notion of "equality in distribution", that is to say, is it correct to write :

##
\begin{aligned}
\sum_{\ell=1}^{N} \sum_{m=-\ell}^{\ell} a_{\ell m}^{2} & \stackrel{d}{=} \sum_{\ell=1}^{N}(2 \ell+1) \chi^{2}\left(C_{\ell}\right)
\end{aligned}
##

?

The key point is the symbol ##\stackrel{d}{=}## : maybe I should rather write a sentence of kind :

The random variable ##\sum_{\ell=1}^{N} \sum_{m=-\ell}^{\ell} a_{\ell m}^{2}## follows the distribution equal to ##\sum_{\ell=1}^{N}(2 \ell+1) \chi^{2}\left(C_{\ell}\right)##

?

To give a more explicit example, if ##X_1## follows ##\text{pdf}_1## and ##X_2## follows ##\text{pdf}_2##, then Can I write ##X_1+X_2## following ##\text{pdf}_1+\text{pdf}_2## or even write directly :

##(X_1+X_2) \stackrel{d}{=} (\text{pdf}_1+\text{pdf}_2)## ?

or I saw also often in litterature :

##(X_1+X_2)## ~ (##\text{pdf}_1+\text{pdf}_2##)

I think this way of expression is bad and false (for example by taking 2 uniform laws). How to circumvent this problem of formulation ?As you can see, there are subtilities that I have not yet grasped.

Any help to better understand is welcome.

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
The pdf of a sum of variables is not equal to the sum of the pdfs of the individual variables. Apart from anything else, that sum of functions would not integrate to 1. So you can't say
f(x1+x2) = f(x1)+f(x2)
or f(nx1) = nf(x1)
Thus I don't like your expression (2l + 1)χ2(Cl). What does it mean?
I'm more comfortable with your use of gamma distributions, but be careful with those summations - you can't have a sum of gamma distributions. For example, if
alm2 =d Γ(1/2, 2Cl) then
Σmalm2 =d Γ((2l+1)/2, 2Cl)
But I don't think it's right to say
ΣmΓ(1/2, 2Cl) = Γ((2l+1)/2, 2Cl)
because I think the LHS is meaningless.
It becomes more difficult when you want to do the sum over l, because Cl varies with l. The sum of gamma variables with different β parameters does not have a gamma distribution. It might approximate to a gamma distribution, in which case you might proceed as follows to estimate the "α" and "β" parameters.
If Yl = Σmalm2
Yl =d Γ((2l+1)/2, 2Cl)
E(Yl) = (2l+1)Cl
V(Yl) = 2(2l+1)Cl2
If Z = ΣlYl
E(Z) = Σl(2l+1)Cl
V(Z) = Σl2(2l+1)Cl2
Suppose Z ≈d Γ(α,β)
where β = V(Z)/E(Z)
and α = E(Z)2/V(Z)
I don't know how good this approximation would be.

(PS. Doesn't l vary from 0 to N-1? That's how it works with hydrogen orbitals anyway!)

Likes ohwilleke
@mjc123 . Thanks for your quick answer.

I realize that my notations are bad.

So finally, the following distribution equality is not true ;## \sum_{m=-\ell}^{\ell} a_{\ell m}^{2} \stackrel{d}{=} \chi^{2}\left((2 \ell+1)\,C_{\ell}\right)##

Could you confirm it to me please ?

Regards

@mjc123 . Thanks for your support.

I think you are right in your expression :

If Yl = Σmalm2
Yl =d Γ((2l+1)/2, 2Cl)

Normally, I could write an equivalent with Gamma distribution (If I take the convention shape/rate for Gamma distribution) :

##\sum_{\ell=1}^N C_\ell \cdot \text{ChiSq}(2 \ell + 1)=\sum_{\ell=1}^N \,C_\ell\, \text{Gamma}\Big((2 \ell + 1)/2,\dfrac{1}{2}\Big)##

##=\sum_{\ell=1}^N \, \text{Gamma}\Big((2 \ell + 1)/2,\dfrac{1}{2C_\ell}\Big)##

Do you agree ?

If this is true, then we would have to consider the sum of gamma random variable with different shape and rate different : this is the work of Moschopoulos : The sum of 𝑁 random variables ##Y_\ell## following each one a Gamma((2ℓ+1)/2,2𝐶ℓ) distribution follows a Moschopulos distribution ((from paper The computation of Moschopoulos on https://www.ism.ac.jp/editsec/aism/pdf/037_3_0541.pdf)

Any confirmation or help is welcome !

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with Moschopoulos's work so can't comment on it. But I still don't like your notation. What do you mean by writing sums or multiples of pdfs? These are not pdfs. As I said above:
mjc123 said:
I don't think it's right to say
ΣmΓ(1/2, 2Cl) = Γ((2l+1)/2, 2Cl)
because I think the LHS is meaningless.
That is, unless it is taken by convention to mean "the sum of 2l+1 variables each distributed as Γ(1/2, 2Cl) is distributed as Γ((2l+1)/2, 2Cl)". In which case I don't like the convention.

@mjc123

ok, it is clearer for me. Jus a last point (but important) :

I am using "coga" library from R language. This library computes the distribution (numerically) of the sum of random variables follwoing for each one a Gamma distribution with different shape and rate parameters, like in our case when I say :

the sum of ##Y_\ell## random variable following each one a Gamma distribution ##\Gamma((2l+1)/2, 2C_\ell)## follows a Moschopoulos distribution (from paper The computation of Moschopoulos on https://www.ism.ac.jp/editsec/aism/pdf/037_3_0541.pdf).

The important thing that I have to guess is "coga" library takes as convention the shape/rate notations.

So, I wonder if the following translation in code is correct for the equality in distribution (with the symbol ##\stackrel{d}{=}##, caution) :

##\sum_{\ell=1}^N Y_{\ell} \stackrel{d}{=} \sum_{\ell=1}^N C_\ell \cdot \text{ChiSq}(2 \ell + 1)\stackrel{d}{=}\sum_{\ell=1}^N \, \text{Gamma}\Big((2 \ell + 1)/2,\dfrac{1}{2\,C_\ell}\Big)\stackrel{d}{=}\text{Moschopoulos distribution}##

Do you agree with this expression ?

Best regards

As I have already said, I don't like that expression because a sum of distributions is meaningless. However, if that is not strict mathematical notation but software code, in which "Σpdf1 = pdf2" means "the sum of variables each with distribution pdf1 has distribution pdf2", then it may be OK. I don't know coga or R language so I can't help you on that.

If what you are writing is not mathematical notation but computer language, you should have made that clear at the outset.

1. What is the purpose of summing chi^2 values into a chi^2 value?

The purpose of summing chi^2 values into a chi^2 value is to combine the results of multiple chi^2 tests into a single overall test. This allows us to evaluate the significance of the overall relationship between variables, rather than just looking at individual relationships.

2. How do you calculate the sum of chi^2 values into a chi^2 value?

To calculate the sum of chi^2 values into a chi^2 value, you simply add together the individual chi^2 values from each test. This will give you a total chi^2 value that represents the overall relationship between the variables being studied.

3. Can you sum chi^2 values from different samples or groups?

Yes, you can sum chi^2 values from different samples or groups as long as they are testing the same relationship between variables. However, if the groups have different sample sizes, it is important to weight the chi^2 values accordingly to account for the differences in sample size.

4. How do you interpret the sum of chi^2 values into a chi^2 value?

The sum of chi^2 values into a chi^2 value can be interpreted in the same way as a single chi^2 value. It represents the significance of the overall relationship between variables, with a higher value indicating a stronger relationship. The value can also be compared to a critical chi^2 value to determine if the relationship is statistically significant.

5. Are there any limitations to summing chi^2 values into a chi^2 value?

One limitation of summing chi^2 values into a chi^2 value is that it assumes the variables being studied are independent. If there is any dependency between the variables, the results may be biased. Additionally, the sum of chi^2 values may not accurately reflect the overall relationship if the individual chi^2 values are not weighted appropriately.