Relation between Matter Power spectrum and Angular power spectrum

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the angular power spectrum and the 3D matter power spectrum in cosmological studies. The formula for the angular power spectrum includes the spherical Bessel function, while the matter power spectrum is dependent on the wave number, k. The angular power spectrum is a projection of the 3D power spectrum onto the surface of a sphere and is dependent on redshift. The matter power spectrum also evolves over time. The conversation also clarifies that the discussion pertains to the matter angular power spectrum, which is different from the usual CMB angular power spectrum.
fab13
TL;DR Summary
I would like to go deeper in the relationship between Matter power spectrum and Angular power spectrum.
From a previous post about the Relationship between the angular and 3D power spectra , I have got a demonstration making the link between the Angular power spectrum ##C_{\ell}## and the 3D Matter power spectrum ##P(k)## :

1) For example, I have the following demonstration,
##
C_{\ell}\left(z, z^{\prime}\right)=\int_{0}^{\infty} d k k^{2} j_{\ell}(k z) j_{\ell}\left(k z^{\prime}\right) P(k)
##
where ##j_{\ell}## are the spherical Bessel functions.

Given

## \tag{1}
C_{\ell}\left(z, z^{\prime}\right)=\int_{0}^{\infty} d k k^{2} j_{\ell}(k z) j_{\ell}\left(k z^{\prime}\right) P(k)
##
Question: how to invert the integral to find the function ##P(k)##?
==>

The closure relation for spherical Bessel function:

## \tag{2}
\int_0^\infty x^2 j_n(xu) j_n(xv) dx = \frac{\pi}{2u^2} \delta(u-v).
##

Multipy Eq.(1) with ##z^2 j_\ell(qz)## and integral over ##z##:

\begin{align}
\int_0^\infty z^2 j_\ell(qz) C_{\ell}\left(z, z^{\prime}\right) dz =&\int_{0}^{\infty} d k k^{2} \left\{ \int^0_\infty z^2 dz j_\ell(qz) j_{\ell}(k z)\right\} j_{\ell}\left(k z^{\prime}\right) P(k) \\
=&\int_{0}^{\infty} d k k^{2} \left\{\frac{\pi}{2q^2} \delta(q-k)\right\} j_{\ell}\left(k z^{\prime}\right) P(k) \\
=& q^{2} \frac{\pi}{2q^2} j_{\ell}\left(q z^{\prime}\right) P(q) \tag{3}.
\end{align}

Once again multiply Eq.(3) with ##z'^2 j_\ell(q'z')## and integral over ##z'##

\begin{align}
\int_0^\infty z'^2 dz' j_\ell(q'z') \int_0^\infty z^2 j_\ell(qz) C_{\ell}\left(z, z^{\prime}\right) dz
=& \frac{\pi}{2} \left\{\int_0^\infty z'^2 dz' j_\ell(q'z') j_{\ell}(q z') \right\} P(q).\\
=& \frac{\pi}{2} \left\{ \frac{\pi}{2q'^2} \delta(q-q') \right\} P(q) \tag{4}.\\
\end{align}

To move the ##\delta## function in the right-hand-side, we multiply Eq. (4) (note that only ##q=q'## has contribution) with ##q'^2## and integral over ##q'##:

\begin{align}
\int_0^\infty dq' q'^2\int_0^\infty z'^2 dz' j_\ell(q'z') \int_0^\infty z^2 j_\ell(q'z) C_{\ell}\left(z, z'\right) dz
=& \frac{\pi^2}{4} \int_0^\infty dq' \delta(q-q') P(q).\\
=& \frac{\pi^2}{4} P(q) \tag{5}.
\end{align}

The left-hand-side of Eq.(5);

\begin{align}
\int_0^\infty dq' & q'^2\int_0^\infty z'^2 dz' j_\ell(q'z') \int_0^\infty z^2 j_\ell(q'z) C_{\ell}\left(z, z'\right) dz \\
= & \int_0^\infty z'^2 dz' \int_0^\infty z^2 dz \left\{ \int_0^\infty dq' q'^2 j_\ell(q'z') j_\ell(q'z) \right\} C_{\ell}(z, z') \\
= & \int_0^\infty z'^2 dz' \int_0^\infty z^2 dz \left\{ \frac{\pi}{2z^2} \delta(z-z') \right\} C_{\ell}(z, z') \\
= & \frac{\pi}{2} \int_0^\infty z^2 dz C_{\ell}(z, z). \tag{6}
\end{align}Combine Eq.(5) and Eq.(6)

##
P(q) = \frac{2}{\pi} \int_0^\infty z^2 dz C_{\ell}(z, z).
##

2) I am surprized that ##C_{\ell}## has no dependence in 𝑘 scale ? only angular dependent and redshift dependent ? since only redshift 𝑧 appears in this expression ?

in cosmology, the angular power spectrum depends on multipole noted 𝑙 (Legendre transformation) which is related to angular quantities (𝜃 and 𝜙). But the matter power spectrum is dependent of 𝑘 wave number (with Fourier transform).

I think I am wrong by saying that, in definition of 𝐶ℓ, one writes 𝐶ℓ(𝑧,𝑧′) where 𝑧 and 𝑧′ could be understood like redshift.

But here, we talk about the ##C_{\ell}## of matter fluctuations and not temperature fluctuations, do you agree ?

What do 𝑧 and 𝑧′ represent from your point of view in the expression 𝐶ℓ(𝑧,𝑧′) ?

Where is my misunderstanding ?

Thanks in advance for your help and don't hesitate to ask me for further informations if I have not been clear enough.

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
The angular power spectrum is a projection of the 3D power spectrum onto the surface of a sphere. Essentially, each ##C_\ell## is a sum over many different wavelengths that contribute to it depending upon their orientations relative to the sphere.

I believe it's a function of redshift because the power spectrum evolves over time.

When you say " Angular power spectrum" and "projection of the 3D power spectrum", you talk about the "Matter Angular power spectrum", that is to say, about the fluctuations of matter and not the fluctuations of temperature like in the usual CMB Angular power spectrum ?

Best regards

1. What is the difference between the Matter Power spectrum and the Angular Power spectrum?

The Matter Power spectrum is a measure of the distribution of matter in the universe, while the Angular Power spectrum is a measure of the distribution of temperature fluctuations in the cosmic microwave background (CMB) radiation. The two spectra are related through the process of gravitational lensing, where the large-scale structure of the universe affects the path of CMB photons, resulting in correlations between the two spectra.

2. How are the Matter Power spectrum and the Angular Power spectrum calculated?

The Matter Power spectrum is typically calculated using numerical simulations or theoretical models based on the laws of gravity and the known properties of matter. The Angular Power spectrum is calculated by analyzing the temperature fluctuations in the CMB radiation as observed by satellite experiments such as the Planck mission.

3. What information can we learn from studying the Relation between Matter Power spectrum and Angular Power spectrum?

Studying the relation between the two spectra can provide insights into the large-scale structure of the universe, the properties of dark matter and dark energy, and the evolution of the universe over time. It can also help us test and refine our theories of gravity and cosmology.

4. How does the Relation between Matter Power spectrum and Angular Power spectrum change with different cosmological models?

The relation between the two spectra is affected by the underlying cosmological model, particularly the amount and nature of dark matter and dark energy in the universe. Different cosmological models will result in different shapes and amplitudes of the two spectra, allowing us to test and distinguish between different theories.

5. What are some current and future experiments that are studying the Relation between Matter Power spectrum and Angular Power spectrum?

Some current experiments include the Planck mission, the Dark Energy Survey, and the Sloan Digital Sky Survey. Future experiments such as the Large Synoptic Survey Telescope and the Euclid mission will also study the relation between the two spectra in more detail, providing even more insights into the nature of our universe.