CNC acc/dec look ahead algorithm

• Thread starter lionliam96
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algorithm
In summary, the conversation discusses a difficulty with implementing an acceleration/deceleration look ahead algorithm in a CNC controller using C#/F#. The equations for determining the number of interpolation periods are provided, but the purpose of the sample period (Ts) is unclear.
lionliam96

Homework Statement

I`m having some trouble with an acceleration/deceleration look ahead algorithm I`m trying to implement in a CNC controller written in C#/F#, specifically the algorithms treatment of time.

Homework Equations

The white paper can be found at:
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/258401146_Look-Ahead_Algorithm_with_Whole_S-Curve_Acceleration_and_Deceleration
Page 2 describes T as the interpolation periods and Ts as the sample period. T1, T5, max acc/dec and max jerk are prespecified so I`m guessing I`m supposed to figure out the duration of the other interpolation periods. If that`s the case, than what does Ts represent exactly?? Duration of the interpolation periods? Duration of the acc/const/dec regions? The paper doesn`t say...

The Attempt at a Solution

I`ve written out all the equations in f#, I just have no idea what Ts is supposed to be?

Code:
// Number of interpolation periods in acceleration region (Na):
let calcNa (Vs : double, Vm : double, Ts : double) : double =
Math.Round(Math.Sqrt(Vm - Vs / (1.0 + K) * J1 * Math.Exp(Ts)) + 1.0)

Thanks,
Liam

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
lionliam96 said:
Ts as the sample period
"Sample period" is the length of time you're sampling?

What is a CNC acc/dec look ahead algorithm?

A CNC acc/dec look ahead algorithm is a computer-controlled system used in manufacturing to improve the efficiency and accuracy of CNC (computer numerical control) machines. It predicts and adjusts the acceleration and deceleration of the machine's movements in advance, allowing for smoother and faster operation.

Why is a CNC acc/dec look ahead algorithm important?

A CNC acc/dec look ahead algorithm is important because it helps to reduce production time and increase accuracy in CNC machining. By optimizing the acceleration and deceleration of the machine's movements, it minimizes wear and tear on the machine and improves the overall quality of the finished product.

How does a CNC acc/dec look ahead algorithm work?

A CNC acc/dec look ahead algorithm works by analyzing the toolpath and determining the optimal acceleration and deceleration for the machine's movements. It takes into account factors such as the speed of the machine, the type of material being machined, and the complexity of the toolpath to make precise adjustments in real-time.

What are the benefits of using a CNC acc/dec look ahead algorithm?

The benefits of using a CNC acc/dec look ahead algorithm include increased efficiency and productivity, improved accuracy and surface finish, and reduced wear and tear on the machine. It also allows for more complex toolpaths and can help to prevent errors and tool breakage.

Are there any limitations to a CNC acc/dec look ahead algorithm?

While a CNC acc/dec look ahead algorithm can greatly improve the performance of CNC machines, it does have some limitations. It may not be suitable for certain types of machining, such as high-speed cutting or very intricate designs. Additionally, it may require more advanced programming skills and can be affected by external factors such as machine condition and tool wear.

Back