Coding - instilling a subconcious fear

• Thread starter Nikitin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coding
In summary, this therapy is possible to use against patients who know it's just a placebo, but it is only effective if they consciously believe it.
Nikitin
"coding" - instilling a subconscious fear

I just came across this article from 2005 and I found it curious

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/01/AR2005100101196.html

I don't know a crap about psychology or medicine, so can somebody with knowledge explain if this therapy is possible to use even against a patient who knows it's just a placebo?

Physics news on Phys.org

Nikitin said:
I just came across this article from 2005 and I found it curious

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/01/AR2005100101196.html

I don't know a crap about psychology or medicine, so can somebody with knowledge explain if this therapy is possible to use even against a patient who knows it's just a placebo?
If the patient knows it's a joke, it's not going to work. They have to believe on some level.

Consciously the patient might think it's a joke, but the subconscious part of his brain might not think so..

It might be the same kind of thing after watching a very nasty horror film, if I'd make a guess.

Anyway, only one reply in this thread? :(

Nikitin said:
Consciously the patient might think it's a joke, but the subconscious part of his brain might not think so..

It might be the same kind of thing after watching a very nasty horror film, if I'd make a guess.

Anyway, only one reply in this thread? :(

I think Evo's right, and you're basically saying a different version of the same thing, that the person might believe it on some level while consciously not believing they believe it.

A good hypnotist can circumvent what you consciously believe and get to the undiscriminating child inside you.

The fairly recently recognized phenomenon of Alert Hypnosis

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16696560

allows for the possibility of people being hypnotized without them being aware it's happening, which is what people like Derren Brown claim to be doing sometimes.

To the extent someone could convince you, deep down, that anti-alcoholic "coding" is, in fact effected by the drugs and not the power of suggestion, it ought to work, despite any rumors you've heard to the contrary.

I am not qualified to comment on the specific therapy mentioned in the article. However, I can speak to the concept of coding and instilling a subconscious fear. Coding, in this context, refers to the process of associating certain stimuli or behaviors with negative emotions or consequences. This can be done consciously or subconsciously and can have a powerful impact on an individual's thoughts and behaviors.

Instilling a subconscious fear through coding can be a powerful tool for manipulating behavior and can be used in a variety of settings, including therapy. However, it is important to note that this can also be unethical and potentially harmful if not done carefully and with proper consent and understanding from the individual.

As scientists, it is our responsibility to carefully consider and assess the potential consequences and ethical implications of any research or therapy involving coding and instilling fear. We must also continue to educate ourselves and others on the power and potential dangers of using such techniques.

1. What is coding - instilling a subconscious fear?

Coding - instilling a subconscious fear is the process of using specific coding techniques to create a sense of fear or anxiety in the user.

2. How is coding used to instill a subconscious fear?

Coding can be used to instill a subconscious fear by manipulating user interfaces, using dark color schemes, and incorporating jump scares or sudden changes in the code.

3. Is coding - instilling a subconscious fear ethical?

The ethics of coding - instilling a subconscious fear can be debated. While some may argue that it is simply a form of entertainment, others may argue that it can be harmful to users with anxiety or other mental health issues.

4. Can coding - instilling a subconscious fear be used for positive purposes?

Yes, coding - instilling a subconscious fear can be used for positive purposes such as creating immersive experiences in horror games or creating simulations for psychological experiments.

5. Are there any precautions that should be taken when using coding to instill a subconscious fear?

Yes, precautions should be taken when using coding to instill a subconscious fear to ensure that it is not used to manipulate or harm users. It is important to consider the potential impact on vulnerable individuals and to use it responsibly.