Coeff. of Linear Exp. of glass from vol expansion of content

In summary: So the correct final temperature is 45°C, and the change in temperature is 25°C, so ΔT = 25°C = 25 K. This gives me an answer of 2.1x10-5 K-1, which is the same as the closest answer. Thank you for your help! In summary, the initial temperature of the olive oil and beaker was 20°C, and after being heated on a range, the temperature increased by 25°C to a final temperature of 45°C. Using the equation ΔV = βViΔT and the known volume expansion coefficient of olive oil, the volume of olive oil lost during the heating process was calculated to be 0.0167 liters. Using
Qwurty2.0

Homework Statement

The coefficient of volume expansion of olive oil is 0.68 × 10-3 K-1. A 1-liter glass beaker is
filled to the brim with olive oil at room temperature. The beaker is placed on a range and the
temperature of the oil and beaker increases by 25 C°. As a result, 0.0167 liters of olive oil spill
over the top of the beaker. What is the coefficient of linear expansion of glass?

Homework Equations

ΔV = βViΔT
ΔV = (3α)ViΔT
β = Coefficient of Volume Expansion
α = Coefficient of Linear Expansion

The Attempt at a Solution

Vi = 1.0 L (for both olive oil and the beaker)
Ti = 20°C = 293.15 K
ΔT = 25°C = 298.15 K
Vlost = 0.0167 L
βolive = 0.68x10-3 K-1
αglass = ?

Calculate volume expansion of beaker
ΔVolive = (0.68x10-3 K-1) * (1.0 L) * (298.15 K)
= 0.202742 L

ΔVglass = ΔVolive - Vlost
= 0.202742 L - 0.0167 L
= 0.186042 L (Volume increase for glass beaker)

Calculate Coefficient of Linear Expansion for Glass Beaker
0.186042 L = (3αglass)(1.0 L)(298.15 K)
0.186042 L = 894.45 L⋅K * αglass
αglass = 0.186042 L / (894.45 L⋅K)
= 0.000208 / K = 2.1x10-4 K-1

This is very close to one of the actually answers (there are 5). One of them is 2x10-5 K-1. The teacher has said that he has removed the correct answer for some of the questions, and that we are to explain why are answer is correct if that is the case. Is my answer correct? If not, what did I do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: think significant figures. Does your result carry the correct number of significant figures?

I believe so. There is 1 significant figure (the 1 liter volume), so the answer I would have is 2x10-4.

But the issue isn't the sig. figs. (at least I don't think), it's the exponent. My answer has 2x10-4, while the closest answer is 2x10-5. I've gone over my calculations and I believe I have done it correctly.

Qwurty2.0 said:
I believe so. There is 1 significant figure (the 1 liter volume), so the answer I would have is 2x10-4.

But the issue isn't the sig. figs. (at least I don't think), it's the exponent. My answer has 2x10-4, while the closest answer is 2x10-5. I've gone over my calculations and I believe I have done it correctly.
You're getting confused on how to deal with temperatures in your calculations.

Remember, degrees Kelvin and degrees Celsius use the same temperature scale, but each scale has a different starting point. For the change in temperature ΔT of 25 °C, you have assumed that this is the same as a temperature of 298.15 °K, which is wildly incorrect for calculating a change in volume.

But if 20°C (293.15 K) is the initial temperature and the final temperature is Ti + ΔT = 20°C + 25°C = 293.15 K + 298.15 K = 591.3 K, and ΔT is Tf - Ti, then isn't ΔT = 591.3 K - 293.15 K = 298.15 K? What am I missing? Don't they give the change in temp right away? :(

Qwurty2.0 said:
But if 20°C (293.15 K) is the initial temperature and the final temperature is Ti + ΔT = 20°C + 25°C = 293.15 K + 298.15 K = 591.3 K, and ΔT is Tf - Ti, then isn't ΔT = 591.3 K - 293.15 K = 298.15 K? What am I missing? Don't they give the change in temp right away? :(
You're treating a temperature reading and a change in temperature as the same thing, which is not correct.

If an initial temperature reading is 20 °C and the temperature increases by 25 °C, then the final temperature is 45 °C, which is not equivalent to 591.3 °K. You can check this by converting °K to °C. Remember, a temperature reading of 0 °C on the Celsius scale is the same as a temperature reading of 273.15 °K on the Kelvin scale, but a change in temperature of 25 °C is the same as a change in temperature of 25 °K.

On both the Celsius and Kelvin temperature scales, the difference in temperature between the freezing point of water and the boiling point of water is 100°.

Ah, my mistake. I understand what I was doing wrong. Thank you.

1. What is the coefficient of linear expansion of glass?

The coefficient of linear expansion of glass is a measure of how much the length of a piece of glass changes when it is heated or cooled. It is typically represented by the symbol α and is expressed in units of length per unit temperature (e.g. mm/°C).

2. How is the coefficient of linear expansion of glass determined?

The coefficient of linear expansion of glass can be determined experimentally by measuring the change in length of a known sample of glass as it is heated or cooled over a range of temperatures. The slope of the resulting graph of length versus temperature can then be used to calculate the coefficient of linear expansion.

3. What is the relationship between the coefficient of linear expansion and the volume expansion of glass?

The coefficient of linear expansion of glass is related to the volume expansion of glass through the formula β = 3α, where β is the coefficient of volume expansion. This means that the volume of glass will change three times as much as its length for a given change in temperature.

4. How does the composition of glass affect its coefficient of linear expansion?

The coefficient of linear expansion of glass can vary depending on the composition of the glass. For example, borosilicate glass, which contains boron oxide, has a lower coefficient of linear expansion than soda-lime glass, which contains sodium oxide. This is due to the different molecular structures of these types of glass.

5. What are the practical applications of knowing the coefficient of linear expansion of glass?

Knowing the coefficient of linear expansion of glass is important in industries such as construction, where glass is commonly used in buildings. Understanding how glass will expand and contract with changes in temperature is crucial for ensuring the structural stability and safety of buildings. It is also important for the manufacturing of glass products, such as bottles and windows, to ensure proper fitting and functionality.