Volume expansion and sea level rise

In summary: Cool. Thank you so much!In summary, the oceans cover 2/3 of the earth's surface with an average depth of 3.7 km and an average surface temperature of 17◦ C. Assuming this temperature represents the entire ocean and using the coefficient of volume expansion for water at this temperature, it can be calculated that the sea level would rise by approximately 0.21 m if the average ocean temperature increased by 1◦ C. However, due to the lower temperatures at lower depths, it can be expected that the actual sea level rise would be smaller. Using the coefficient of linear expansion and the depth of the oceans, it can be calculated that the sea level would rise by approximately 0.629 m.
hnnhcmmngs

Homework Statement

[/B]
Oceans cover 2/3 of the earth’s surface, with an average depth of 3.7 km. The average surface temperture is 17◦ C. Taking this temperature as representative of the entire ocean, and knowing that the coefficient of volume expansion for water at this temperature is β = 1.7 × 10^−4 (◦C)^−1, how much would the sea level rise if the average ocean temperature rose by 1◦ C?

Given that the oceans are in fact cooler at lower depths, and knowing what you know about the expansion or contraction of water at lower temperatures, would you expect the actual sea level rise to be larger or smaller than what you just calculated?

Homework Equations

[/B]
α=β/3
∆L=α*L*∆T

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I used the first equation to find that α=5.667*10^-5 (◦C)−1 and then I used the second equation to find that ∆L=(5.667*10^-5 (◦C)^−1)*(3.7*10^3 m)*(1◦ C)=0.21 m

As for the second part, I would assume that the actual sea level rise would be smaller than what I calculated since the coefficient of linear expansion of water is smaller at lower depths. Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
hnnhcmmngs said:
find that α=5.667*10^-5 (◦C)−1
You are assuming the oceans would expand equally in all directions. The land might object.
hnnhcmmngs said:
the actual sea level rise would be smaller than what I calculated since the coefficient of linear expansion of water is smaller at lower depths. Is this correct?
Seems right.

haruspex said:
You are assuming the oceans would expand equally in all directions. The land might object.
So would I use ∆V=β*V*∆T instead? Do I find the volume expansion then divide by the surface area of the oceans to find the sea level rise?

hnnhcmmngs said:
So would I use ∆V=β*V*∆T instead? Do I find the volume expansion then divide by the surface area of the oceans to find the sea level rise?
That sounds more reasonable to me, but you do not have to go through those steps. Can you see a more direct way?

haruspex said:
That sounds more reasonable to me, but you do not have to go through those steps. Can you see a more direct way?
∆V=β*V*∆T
∆V=SA*∆d (SA=surface area, d=depth)
V=SA*d
SA*∆d=β*SA*d*∆T
Then the surface area cancels out.
∆d=β*d*∆T=(1.7*10^-4 (◦C)^−1)*(3.7*10^3 m)*(1◦ C)=0.629 m
Is this correct?

hnnhcmmngs said:
∆V=β*V*∆T
∆V=SA*∆d (SA=surface area, d=depth)
V=SA*d
SA*∆d=β*SA*d*∆T
Then the surface area cancels out.
∆d=β*d*∆T=(1.7*10^-4 (◦C)^−1)*(3.7*10^3 m)*(1◦ C)=0.629 m
Is this correct?
Looks right.

Likes hnnhcmmngs
haruspex said:
Looks right.
Cool. Thank you so much!

1. What is volume expansion and how does it contribute to sea level rise?

Volume expansion is the increase in volume of a substance when its temperature increases. This is due to the fact that molecules move faster and take up more space when heated. In terms of sea level rise, volume expansion is a significant contributor as the Earth's oceans are warming due to climate change, causing the water to expand and take up more space, leading to a rise in sea level.

2. How much has sea level risen due to volume expansion?

According to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), sea level has risen by an average of 0.19 meters (7.5 inches) since 1901. Around 30% of this rise can be attributed to volume expansion.

3. Are all bodies of water affected by volume expansion and sea level rise?

Yes, all bodies of water are affected by volume expansion and sea level rise, including oceans, lakes, and rivers. However, the rate of sea level rise may vary depending on the location and other factors such as land subsidence or uplift.

4. How does volume expansion and sea level rise impact coastal communities?

Coastal communities are particularly vulnerable to the impacts of sea level rise and volume expansion. As sea levels rise, coastal erosion and flooding become more frequent, leading to loss of land, damage to infrastructure, and displacement of populations. These communities may also face economic and social challenges due to the disruption of fisheries, tourism, and other industries.

5. Can we stop or reverse volume expansion and sea level rise?

Unfortunately, volume expansion and sea level rise are inevitable consequences of climate change. However, by reducing our greenhouse gas emissions and taking steps to mitigate and adapt to the impacts of climate change, we can slow down the rate of sea level rise and lessen its impacts on coastal communities.