Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coefficient of friction due to water

1. Mar 5, 2008 #1
    I wasnt able to find anything on the internet, so maybe someone else can help. I need to know the coeifficient of friction due to water. Like say a submarine is being pulled by something through the water and what i need to know is what would the friction be for the submarine (if there is a universal number for friction by water) or how to solve for it. I am in 11th grade so hopefully the answer isnt too complicated.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2008 #2
    Thats going to be next to impossible for you to find. Its not a simple friction problem, but a complicated fluid dynamics problem. This is a very, very, very, tough problem.

4. Mar 6, 2008 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi spri4! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Basically, friction is where the thing you're rubbing against stays where it is.

But when you move through a fluid (treacle, water, air, …), you drag some of the fluid with you. That's called viscosity, of course.

You need the viscosity, not the friction! :smile:

(You could try: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viscosity - but I don't recommend it! :smile:)

5. Mar 6, 2008 #4
    Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?