How come friction can make a car turn?

In summary, the conversation discusses the role of friction in making a car turn. Frictional force acts in the opposite direction of the wheel turns when the car is turning, and it can be modified by various forces on the tires. The conversation also touches on the importance of reading and understanding recommended references to gain a better understanding of the subject.
James Brown
How is it possible that friction makes car turn? From what I know, frictional force is acting along to the direction of the wheel turns.
When the car turns, the direction of the frictional force now act opposite to the direction of the wheel turns!

I'm sure if you rotate the steering wheel to a certain angle and don't move the wheel. Then when you step on the gas pedal afterwards the car will move in a near prefect circle
Now I need to find out a problem: Frictional force makes a car to accelerate or accelerate in other direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Please, see:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circle_of_forces

https://www.formula1-dictionary.net/traction_circle.html

The car naturally wants to move on a straight line and at constant speed.
Forward or rearward forces in the contact patches of the driving tires modify that constant speed.
Lateral forces in the contact patches of the steering tires modify that natural straight trajectory.
For driving-steering tires, you have a net force compounded by longitudinal and lateral forces, which induce a net acceleration of the car’s mass in the same direction of the net force.

Assuming there is no skidding or "squealing" of tires the frictional forces of the road on the tire are static friction and are not directly related to any velocity or direction thereof.

James Brown said:
From what I know, frictional force is acting along to the direction of the wheel turns.
The opposite is the case (at least until one presses on the brakes or on the accelerator). A freely rolling wheel only experiences lateral friction. The fore-and-aft component is eliminated when an ideal wheel is free to roll.

That is rather the point of putting rocks into wheeled carts rather than piling them on sledges.

James Brown said:
How is it possible that friction makes car turn?
It's called science friction!

• Haha
Likes phinds, berkeman, hutchphd and 1 other person
PeroK said:
It's called science friction!
Be serious can you?

James Brown said:
Be serious can you?
LOL. Did you read the links in the serious reply #2 by @Lnewqban ? If not, why not? If so, what part did you not understand?

Likes Lnewqban and hutchphd
James Brown said:
Be serious can you?
You were given serious responses and did not reply to them so perhaps a little humor was called for. If you can't take a joke, you're in for a dull life.

Last edited:
Likes davenn, nasu, hutchphd and 1 other person
phinds said:
You were given serious responses and did not reply to them so perhaps a little humor was called for. If you can't take a joke, you're in for a dull life.
Ahh OK then I got nothing to say

James Brown said:
Ahh OK then I got nothing to say
Okay, then I'll go ahead and close off this thread for now. I know you are in high school and wanting to learn, which is a good thing. Please read through the links given above in post #2, and if you have questions about that reading, let me know and I can re-open this thread. Thanks.

Likes jbriggs444, hutchphd and PeroK
Update -- In a PM conversation, the OP doesn't seem to understand why it's important to read the recommended references in reply #2. OP is on a 10-day vacation to try to underdstand that.

Likes davenn, weirdoguy and Bystander

1. How does friction cause a car to turn?

Friction is the force that resists motion between two surfaces in contact. When a car turns, the tires experience a lateral (sideways) force from the road due to friction. This force causes the tires to push against the road, creating a centripetal force that makes the car turn.

2. What role does friction play in a car's turning radius?

The amount of friction between the tires and the road determines the car's turning radius. If there is more friction, the car will have a smaller turning radius and make sharper turns. If there is less friction, the car will have a larger turning radius and make wider turns.

3. Can friction cause a car to lose control while turning?

Yes, too much friction can cause a car to lose control while turning. This is because the lateral force from friction can exceed the car's weight, causing it to skid or slide. This is why it's important to have properly inflated tires and good traction on the road to maintain control while turning.

4. How does the type of surface affect friction and a car's turning?

The type of surface a car is driving on can greatly affect the amount of friction and the car's turning. A rough surface, such as gravel, will have more friction and cause the car to turn more sharply. A smooth surface, such as ice, will have less friction and cause the car to slide or skid while turning.

5. Is there a way to reduce friction and improve a car's turning?

Yes, there are several ways to reduce friction and improve a car's turning. One way is to use tires with good tread and proper inflation to increase traction on the road. Another way is to add a lubricant, such as oil or wax, to the tires to reduce friction. Additionally, maintaining a proper speed while turning can also help reduce friction and improve the car's turning ability.